V5 first drive, holy smoke!

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
This is the first car i've owned that you can lose traction in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. :D

Happens a lot in first gear with me. Although the roads all winter have almost always greasy and/or wet and it happens mainly during rush hour when i'm trying to get out of junctions quickly.

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Indeed, more like :rofl: though. In the dry they do feel ok, though haven't pushed it. But in the damp again this morning, could not get the power down, made me look like a muppet at traffic lights spinning my wheels when I'm not trying.

Maybe new tyres before the dogbones.

pocket said:
This is the first car i've owned that you can lose traction in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. :D

Happens a lot in first gear with me. Although the roads all winter have almost always greasy and/or wet and it happens mainly during rush hour when i'm trying to get out of junctions quickly.

Sounds like you both need some decent tyres.

The V5 is good, but it shouldn't spin the wheels like that and it sounds like your tyres aren't up to scratch. To get the power down effectively I'd check you've got:

- Good quality tyres, which are highly rated by other users and are suited to the season

- Good tread

- Inflated to the right amount

If you're still spinning the wheels after that, then it's time to start looking at other solutions.

Last edited:

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
True, looked briefly this afternoon actually, need to speak to my guy and see what deal he do if he takes my tyres, they got good tread, just needs a car a little slower I think, or the stupid bat in a Hyundai I30 doing 45mph on the M4 tonight, clearly she never stresses tires.

Sjx

Those tyres sound awful, mine still has Kwik Fit specials on it at the moment and I only rarely get wheel spin in second. They are terrible in greasy weather though.

Your MPG doesn't sound too bad, I do 16 miles each way on my commute and average around 28mpg, even including some time with the engine noise. You can find my car on Fuelly, I'd link but I think I'm blocked from that still here. My route is probably 8 miles motorway & NSL roads, the rest 30mph and town centre.

I did do a trip to Birmingham and back in one day, totalled around 411 miles on a single tank of fuel, averaged around 33MPG and spent most of it between 80 and 90.

Last edited by a moderator:

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
i could be doing with new tyres. But as i'm stingy i'm getting every bit of rubber out of them. They are still legal mind you. One front down to about 2mm the other 3mm.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
I'll get new ones, really is a pain not being able to get the power down.

The oil was changed on Tuesday too, just remembered to check the colour tonight, considering I've done about 90 miles since, the oil is clean still, looks like its come straight out of the bottle. I've never seen engine oil so clean, so good to know despite its 120,000miles, the innards appear to be immaculate.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise