v5 "undertray"

adaminnit

Hello! This is my first post on this forum, so I'll hello as well! I've just bought an 03 52 plate V5 and used this forum to help me during the decision making process. It's been very helpful, so thank you all for the contributions here.

So far, so good with the car - except 1 thing today. Being a Sunday I decided to take the car for a run and see how it performs and at speed 2 pieces of plastic shot out the back of the car. I am pretty sure that they were the covers or under tray (correct me on this) that cover the sump and also the lower pulley of the auxiliary serpentine belt as it's now all on show.

Has this happened to anyone else? on a Toledo or other similar platform. I'm asking that because I've had alfa romeo's and other such cars where pieces fall off regularly...

Where can I get replacements?

Not too happy about running around with the pulley on show in case a stone jumped in.

Also, others may have seen me on the SV650 forum with the same user name, if there's any 2 wheel people out there!

Thank you in advance.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yes they can become detached, and yes you can get replacements. I don't remember them being that expensive, but then again I've been running without mine since I bought the car! I wouldn't expect there to be much problem with it, after all there's all sorts of cars that run without similar undertrays and they're fine.

I'd recommend you sign up to vagcat.com, they have an online parts catalogue that you can look at. You should be able to look at the pictures and compare them to what you have (or haven't!) and decide what to get.

And you're also not alone with the two wheels either, there's a fair few bikers on here including me! My particular machine (Yamaha Thundercat) is off the road at the moment, getting a bearing overhaul, a frame paint and a vinyl wrap on the plastics. I'm hoping to get back into next season with an (almost) new looking bike!

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
It hasn't happened to me, even after part of a crappy 206 came off in front of me and gave the undertray and floorpan a good bashing.
You might be able to get one from a scrappers but you'll probably have to go to a dealership :(

Weird thing is, I'm doing my CBT and DAS next year and looking to get an SV650, and we both own v5's :D

adaminnit

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll have a look at prices from various sources and report back my findings as and when.. vagcat.com seems a good site too, thanks for that. It's not the sump being covered that I'm bothered about, more the pulley/belt at the bottom of the serpentine loop.

At risk of going off topic, I'm not on 2 wheels at the moment - well I ride a honda lead to work but that's not quite the same. Matt if you're considering the SV650 then register on forums dot sv650 dot org and talk to people on there, I found it an absolute wealth of info and met a bunch of cool people on there. Not only SV650 people but people who started on one and moved up. I sold mine many moons ago, it was a 2004 SVS and actually a very good bike for what it is. As a first big bike it's perfect, it's still quick although the top end isn't great but for confidence building it just grows with you - there's not many bikes than you can nail it in the lower gears in the corners and get away with it! I did 33k on my SV and it took me all over europe, highly recommended.

adaminnit

To conclude this thread , I have ordered the sump cover/undertray and the right hand cover from seat for £59. Some say you dont need it but I paid a few thousand for the car so in my eyes it's worth keeping it as it should be.

I'll fit it this weekend.

adaminnit

I think the big bit (technical term) , was £29 and the pulley cover £18. - that doesn't quite add up , there's also a fixing kit as well to make up the £59.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise