Vacuum pressure dropping on idle

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Have been noticing in the last couple of weeks that the boost guage has been showing a drop off in the vacuum pressure at idle.

Used to sit at 20VAC quite happily. Its slowly moved from 20 to 19, then to 18, and this morning 17psi VAC.

Between gear changes the gauge flicks back to 21psi VAC.

Any thoughts?

Only mod fitted recently was FMIC, so wondering whether I need to go round and give the jubilee clips a quick tweak now things have settled down. Havent fitted the charge pipe yet, so no doubt when I do there will be more fun and games.

cheers
Warren

surfo

Leon Cupra 1.8T GT3071R
Jul 13, 2004
www.xmsports.com.mx
you have a leak somewere in your gauge line.. look on the conections (T and you gauge)... it happened to me once and the T conector was cracked.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Is it possible to get a brass T piece to replace a plastic one?
Im assuming they are a pretty standard size and all have restrictors on the gauge port?

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
GaryM said:
Is it possible to get a brass T piece to replace a plastic one?
Im assuming they are a pretty standard size and all have restrictors on the gauge port?
Yeah it is gary, rich had one on his lcr, after plastic o/e one kept cracking :doh: dunno where he got it from though, someone on here will know

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i find mine differs depending on temp outside. Has been up and down since installing it but always been reading fine :)

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
GaryM said:
Cheers Vern, been meaning to ask this for a while and have never got round to it.
Gary i may be wrong bbut sure he got it from a compressed air suppilers, e.g thorite's off the shelf,he needed it asap anyhow............

surfo

Leon Cupra 1.8T GT3071R
Jul 13, 2004
www.xmsports.com.mx
I could´t find a brass T so I took another plastic one and cover it with black sillicone (the one that is sold on any VW/SEAT/AUDI dealer... and now 1year with out cracking!!!...

greetings.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
surfo said:
I could´t find a brass T so I took another plastic one and cover it with black sillicone (the one that is sold on any VW/SEAT/AUDI dealer... and now 1year with out cracking!!!...

greetings.

Any idea of a part number?
Which car has these and what are they used for originally?

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Cheers Martyn, they look like just the job but the port for the boost gauge needs to be restricted I believe.
The one I received with the boost fitting kit certainly is.

surfo

Leon Cupra 1.8T GT3071R
Jul 13, 2004
www.xmsports.com.mx

GaryM said:
Any idea of a part number?
Which car has these and what are they used for originally?

No, this things doesn´t have part numbers... they are used on some cars for the water of the wippers. is a T conection made of plastic :doh:

and yes, the restriction is to avoid rattling...

greetings.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Wouldn't be surprised. My A pillar Nomad gauge has been on and off more times than a *****s kegs as I have endeavoured to get a decent fit out of it.

Will gave a look at both ends to see whether there is any stress fractures in the pipe.

Car is running too well to have a problem.

Cheers for the advice! ;)

surfo

Leon Cupra 1.8T GT3071R
Jul 13, 2004
www.xmsports.com.mx
GaryM said:
Rattling? As in noise or needle all over the place?

Would this be a problem if I was to go for a normal T piece like the one Feel posted above?

as in Noise, but it´s rare that this happens, I´m using a normal T and no noise... if you hear any noise you can simply do a reduction on your gauge side by inserting a metalic wire and applying a little heat so the hose reduces a bit.

greetings.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.