VAG Tacho or VAG Commander?

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Hi guys

I need to obtain the SKC for my car so I can (hopefully) code a new transponder to my car.

I have VCDS-lite to programme the transponder.

I do not have the plastic key tag (do people just bin these when they buy a car or what?).

From what I can gather, my choices are VAG Tacho or VAG Commander. I'm assuming they both have a different interface, so not like I can buy a cable for one and use both programmes.

So my question is, which one should I go for?

For future proofing, is there any reason to go with one over the other - whilst I only need it for the SKC now, does one programme have significant other features?

The car is a '53 plate mk1 (1m) Leon Cupra TDI.

Thanks

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I've got a '53 plate so hoping either will work.

You used either of them for anything else? Which do you prefer?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I've done some immobiliser stuff on both ECU's and instrument panels on some golfs, fabia's and ibiza's, I would get the K+CAN Commander.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Seems weird that you need different cables when it is the same connector on both ends!

The connectors need to be the same, else how you going to plug them in to anything? It's the electronics and firmware in the cable that differs from cable to cable.

Z1ldj1an

Hi guys,

Same thing here.. I have a Vag Commander 1.4. If anyone has experience with it and could teach me how to read SKC/PIN, would really appreciate it. Please PM me.

Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members