VCDS Error 11825 Mechanical Malfunction Of Wastegate Actuator

skott101

Apr 4, 2007
Manchester
Hi.

This is an information thread for anyone suffering from this problem out of warranty (like I was).

This fault only concerns the 1.2 TSi CBZ engine (and possibly the 1.4 TSi but cannot confirm this).

Started to get this after driving the car for 6 months. Usually happened after a long-ish run when the engine was good and hot. The car would get EPC light, then limp mode, followed by the check engine light. If you stopped the car and let things rest for 10 minutes, on restarting the limp mode would have gone and the car ran normally for a few more days.

Connected up to VCDS and got error 11825 Mechanical Malfunction of Wastegate actuator. You clear the fault and things would be fine for a few days, then it would reappear and get you into limp mode.

Research online was limited. Most threads were for cars covered under warranty. That code results in turbo replacement :( My car wasn't under warranty :(

It appears that the problem was caused by the wastegate arm becoming jammed when the manifold was hot. I heated the manifold up with a blow torch to get it nice and hot and forced the arm backwards and forwards until the stiffness became less apparent (obviously oiling the bearing would not work long term). Re-assembled the heat shield.

On stripping the motor actuator control (which has weird T18 torx screws holding it together) I found one of the cogs to be smashed in half and missing teeth. The the arm jammed at one end of the unit and the motor didn't jam on the other end of the unit, the middle lower cog got more stress than it could handle and split.

I managed to find a replacement actuator on Ebay in Germany and when it arrived inspected it and moly-greased it internally (the hall sensor is very prone to jamming without some lube on it).

Re-fitted it, cleared the code and a month on, success.

I post this for anyone suffering the 11825 fault and needing some guidance. I hope this helps.

Scott.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.