VCDS help for a poorly polo

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Hi,

Is there anyone out there who might be able to help with my girlfriends polo. It hasn't been running right for some time. The symptons are

Poor Fuel Economy
Smells of petrol
Using oil

The engine management light has come on before with an error code for the lambda sensor. Would anyone be able to help me log it with VCDS and help fix the problem once and for all?

Cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I haven't done anything as yet. I was hoping there might be someone local who can help me log it to have a look at the fueling and exhaust sensors.

I know this might sound obvious, but you might actually solve the issue if you replace the sensor. If the lambda sensor isn't working, it won't know how much fuel to add. My car failed it's emissions due to a lambda sensor fail, it was basically dumping too much fuel in and therefore the amount of c**p coming out the back had increased.

I'd start with what you know, then look at other solutions if that doesn't help.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
I know this might sound obvious, but you might actually solve the issue if you replace the sensor. If the lambda sensor isn't working, it won't know how much fuel to add. My car failed it's emissions due to a lambda sensor fail, it was basically dumping too much fuel in and therefore the amount of c**p coming out the back had increased.

I'd start with what you know, then look at other solutions if that doesn't help.

Could this of been happening for a while and buggered the CAT? I don't want to replace the post cat sensor only to find out that it's the cat that isn't working properly?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
If you have two sensors, ignore the post cat sensor. It has no effect on fuelling, it just monitors the efficiency of the cat. The pre cat sensor feeds back to the ECU and it uses that to alter the fuelling as required.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
If you have two sensors, ignore the post cat sensor. It has no effect on fuelling, it just monitors the efficiency of the cat. The pre cat sensor feeds back to the ECU and it uses that to alter the fuelling as required.

Thank you for this, will get on ELSAWIN this evening and get the part number so I can order another one.

Many thanks :thumbup:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members