VCDS Lite - Port Status Ok, Interface Not Found

JamJay

California Bound
Hi All, this is the error that I get all the time since switching from a Win XP OS laptop to Win 7 laptop & from 409.1 to the new VCDS Lite 10.6. Casn someone please help me rectify the issue?

I started from scratch and plugged my non-genuine cable into my laptop, Windows 7 searched the internet for a driver and found one, presumably from Ross Tech. Once the driver had installed it assigned it to COM3 which is not in use by anything else. I right-clicked the VCDS lite icon and selected "compatibility", from that I set permission to the application as administative, applied and okayed it. I then connect the cable to the car and turn on the ignition, the cable lights up blue to indicate a connection has been established so I open op VCDS and test the connection to COM3, I then get this error. I've tried changing the COM to 1/2/4 also and still I get the same result which ever way, I have also tried all of the different USB ports on my laptop, installing the driver for each but again the same error message.

I then uninstalled all VCDS drivers and VCDS. I redownloaded it and installed the driver that comes with the software this time but once everything is up and running, the same error all over again.

My understanding of the error message is that the interface cable is connected to the right port however VCDS cannot establish a connection to the car or perhaps it just doesn't recognise the cable anymore. I bought this cable some time ago and ran it on Win XP, everything ran fine then with no issues at all so the car definitely accepted the cable. Could it be that the cable is out of date?

Can someone please help me with this?

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
Did you get the drivers for your wire from the manufacturer? They have to supply the driver for their hardware. My guess is the driver is not installing properly.

Also you mention VCDS-Lite 10.6. There is no such product. Are you down loading VCDS-Lite or VCDS? VCDS will not recognize your interface no matter what you do. You must have a Ross-Tech dongle style interface to run VCDS.

The current version of VCDS-Lite is version 1.1. You should be downloading it from this page: VCDS-Lite Download

JamJay

California Bound
I got the driver from the manufuacturer but it only includes XP & Vista drivers which don't seem to work on the version of VCDS that I have, mind you neither do any other drivers so perhaps I do have the wrong version of VCDS :shrug:. Should I install the XP or Vista driver from the manufacturers CD?

I downloaded this version of VCDS: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.html
Is this the wrong one? I am confused as it said on your website...

"Instructions:

If you have a HEX or KEY Series interface, you're on the wrong page. Please go here instead" (this is the above link).

My car has a HEX/KEY interface so I figured I had the right one but perhaps this is the full version for use with the cable that provides full functionality.

Thanks so much for getting in touch.

Last edited:

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
You have an aftermarket wire. You cannot run VCDS you can only run VCDS-Lite. The download is on the page I linked in my previous post.

You need to go to wire manufacturer and get the Win 7 drivers for his wire. XP and Vista drivers will not work with Win 7.

You said it has a blue light on it. That is not a Ross-Tech HEX or KEY style dongle interface. I don't know what you have but it is not a genuine Ross-Tech dongle interface. It is mostly likely a KKL, dual K or some other named aftermarket product.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.