Very poor fuel efficiency

Dec 23, 2021
Hi there,
Bit of an odd one really. I have a Leon FR which I got about 4 months ago, I love it but I’ve noticed the fuel economy is terrible, I get about 37mpg, which is fine, and should last me about 350 miles. I get 175-200 out of it, which is not so great. It’s considerably worse with Air Con on. Anyone else got this issue? Or is it just me?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi there,
Bit of an odd one really. I have a Leon FR which I got about 4 months ago, I love it but I’ve noticed the fuel economy is terrible, I get about 37mpg, which is fine, and should last me about 350 miles. I get 175-200 out of it, which is not so great. It’s considerably worse with Air Con on. Anyone else got this issue? Or is it just me?
How are you calculating your mpg? - are you relying on the car’s fuel computer or are you calculating it manually by filling the tank and dividing the distance covered by the number of gallons used?

What type of journeys are you driving? If predominantly short journeys on a cold engine, then fuel consumption won’t be great. Are you consistently getting lower than expected mpg or every so often? If the latter, then if the car is performing a GPF / OPF regeneration, that is likely to have a marked detrimental impact on mpg.

Are your tyres inflated to the correct pressure? If they’re under inflated then that will adversely affect mpg (and tyre wear).

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Not that it should make much difference, but is it hatch or ST? expect to get better than that, I have the same on order in an ST so very curious, did have the engine before in a mk3.5 hatch and pretty sure I was getting mid 40s early 50s!!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Dec 23, 2021
How are you calculating your mpg? - are you relying on the car’s fuel computer or are you calculating it manually by filling the tank and dividing the distance covered by the number of gallons used?

What type of journeys are you driving? If predominantly short journeys on a cold engine, then fuel consumption won’t be great. Are you consistently getting lower than expected mpg or every so often? If the latter, then if the car is performing a GPF / OPF regeneration, that is likely to have a marked detrimental impact on mpg.

Are your tyres inflated to the correct pressure? If they’re under inflated then that will adversely affect mpg (and tyre wear).
I am using the cars computer to calculate this, by my maths I'm getting about 18mpg. I'm driving slightly longer journeys, on average 18 miles per trip. I'm not really noticing heavy dips in the MPG. Tyres are all good, I keep on top of that stuff since I had issues with it in my old car.

Dec 23, 2021
Not that it should make much difference, but is it hatch or ST? expect to get better than that, I have the same on order in an ST so very curious, did have the engine before in a mk3.5 hatch and pretty sure I was getting mid 40s early 50s!!

It is a hatch. And I would expect slightly better too haha, costing me a lot of money in petrol.

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
It is a hatch. And I would expect slightly better too haha, costing me a lot of money in petrol.
Yeah exactly, I mean I do about 30-40 miles a day so almost 200 a week so yeah spend a bit on fuel so kind of how the real figures are better then that!!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It's the 1.5 litre petrol 130 bhp
Normal my 1.5 130 tsi leon got 36mpg average over 13k miles

Small engines = false economy as they are working harder than a bigger engine

Also what fuel are you using? Standard 95 ron is now E10 petrol and can suffer 10% lower fuel economy

Super (98 RON) is still E5 so will return much better mpg. Would suggest you run this fuel

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I've got an FR 1.5 130 ST and getting higher mpg than on my previous 1.4 150, so I'd say you have a fault. Even on a brand new engine I'm getting 50+ on the long term consumption, so it should get higher as the engine loosens up.

I had a 1.9 diesel once that gave terrible consumption, VW replaced like a hundred bits of the engine under warranty and then it got better.

Reactions: Leonfr140
Dec 23, 2021
I've got an FR 1.5 130 ST and getting higher mpg than on my previous 1.4 150, so I'd say you have a fault. Even on a brand new engine I'm getting 50+ on the long term consumption, so it should get higher as the engine loosens up.

I had a 1.9 diesel once that gave terrible consumption, VW replaced like a hundred bits of the engine under warranty and then it got better.
I have contacted my local Seat dealership and have not even received a response. Will wait til after Christmas, however it's the second issue I've had so far, I originally had an issue with the lane assist sensors constantly veering me left to which they originally advised was a safety feature until a relative, who is in the industry actually proved otherwise.

Dec 23, 2021
Normal my 1.5 130 tsi leon got 36mpg average over 13k miles

Small engines = false economy as they are working harder than a bigger engine

Also what fuel are you using? Standard 95 ron is now E10 petrol and can suffer 10% lower fuel economy

Super (98 RON) is still E5 so will return much better mpg. Would suggest you run this fuel
I do run E5 but is still bad. I even did the maths, and mathematically I'm getting 18-20mpg.

Delberthot

Sep 8, 2021
The last time I had a car that was doing 18mpg was my Audi A5 when it was doing a regen of the GPF. I panicked at first when I saw the poor economy then read up on how to drive the car to clean the filter. Ended up taking it on a half hour drive taking in all kinds of roads until it had cleared itself out.

DeinsB

Dec 6, 2021
Latvia
My 1,5 etsi 150hp fuel consumption is around 6,3 L/100km with full tank havent successed to reach trip count over 780km :( what is others fuel consumptions? And how much km you can cover with full tank- let me know! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jcbmally

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
My 1,5 etsi 150hp fuel consumption is around 6,3 L/100km with full tank havent successed to read trip count over 780km :( what is others fuel consumptions? And how much km you can cover with full tank- let me know! ;)
That’s around mid 40’s mpg for UK.

Reactions: martin j.

Deleted member 123864

My 1,5 etsi 150hp fuel consumption is around 6,3 L/100km with full tank havent successed to read trip count over 780km :( what is others fuel consumptions? And how much km you can cover with full tank- let me know! ;)
I'm high 40s, touching 50mpg most long journeys on the non eTSi 150. About 5.7 l/100km in new money.

iMZee

Nov 30, 2021
Ive got the 150 version in my Golf, I get around 58mpg on motorway trips and about 45mpg around town if im driving like a granny.

xeizo

Aug 17, 2021
I have the 110 eTSI, I drove 120km+ the other day and had 54/100km. That's in -8C, with studded tires and E10. Fairly good for a car that has only been driven for 500km imho. For commuting through town with a cold start I average 65/100km for a 12km drive. I think it's efficient for a petrol.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise