Very strange screws used - help?

dylanlaw

Cordy speed freak
Apr 11, 2007
N. Wales
Well my on going project o repair & rebuild my 98 Cordy 2 door is really starting to wear me down with one silly problem after another now and I really hope somebody here can help.

I have purchased a new boot lid for it as my ex went psycho on the current one and pretty much destroyed it. Now as I want to respray the whole car I'm trying to strip everything off, like the spoiler and boot reflector panel but there are three screws used on the underside of the boot above the licence plate to hold the reflector on. On my current damaged boot, they are standard philips so no worries there but on the replacement one (I got it from a breakers yard and thanks to wonderful coopers carriers it arrived damaged anyway but my friend can repair it thankfully) they are like a philips head screw but there are 5 equidistant slots for a screwdriver head to go into and the centre of the screw head seems raised.

Now I have purchased almost every type of socket and screw driver attachment I can find and nothing fits them, I got one out with brute force but the other two are well and truly stuck and I'm really starting to lose heart with my project now. Can someone help at all, does anybody know what these are called or what I need to remove them without damaging the boot (any further anyway)?

Thanks in advance

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Sounds a bit like they're security torx screws. Got a photo of the ones you've taken out?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
if you get a pair of long -nosed pliers up into the 'hole' from the outside of the boot and also a pair of pliers into the inside it can be done.. its a mare of a job, but Ive done it a couple of times on both of my Mk2's..

dylanlaw

Cordy speed freak
Apr 11, 2007
N. Wales
Thanks for the advice guys. I have linked three pictures I took of the one I got out, they aren't great but I had to use my phone. None of my mates who work with cars regularly have seen these before

Screw_head3.jpg
Screw_head2.jpg
Screw_head1.jpg

Cordoba Cruiser

Jul 11, 2003
Aberdeen
Visit site
I came across those screws when I needed to replace one of the boot lens on my cordy, hard grade of steel screw as drill bit did not make much impact, I GOT ANNOYED SO DRILLED AROUND PLASTIC LENS screw HOLE, carefully so did not break though and hit metal bootlid underneath plastic.
could then pull lens away from bootlid and get a pair of selfgrips onto remaining plastic stub
and remove screw. cut a slot in plastic tab with side cutters pliers under center badge to get the lens out from the centre screw.

centre badge screw holds the two section lens underneath with plastic tabs

old light was knackered anyway on mine, but if you are keeping your lights you will have to drill them out or try the pliers, centre screw is a nightmare funny thing is they are not tight once you get them turning reverse easy drill bit would work if you can get on from BQ ETC?

dylanlaw

Cordy speed freak
Apr 11, 2007
N. Wales
I got the centre screw out from under the logo (its the one in the pics, rusty as hell) but its the others I'm stuck on. I have shelved it for a bit due to the bad weather here in north wales but I might just try the pliers trick mentioned before and use the screws off my current bumper when the respray is done (they're philips).

Thanks for all the advice guys, ur a great help

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
i went to the stealers here in cardiff and asked them. they said they were'nt a standard screw. and i said there were. and they said the were'nt a standard screw. and i said, you get my point. do they not know anything.
any way my point is they had nothing to get them out. so best bet is get them out some how. and replace with philips screws

dylanlaw

Cordy speed freak
Apr 11, 2007
N. Wales
I think I'll have to cause they're really annoying me now but luckily I've got the old ones to use that are philips

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members