Vibrating Noise When Accelerating / Engine Under Load

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Noticed a vibrating noise coming from the engine bay when the turbo kicks in or when climbing a hill.

Any idea what it is? Can anything be done to stop it?

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
It will either be the top boost pipe that runs down the offside to the front of the engine bay, vibrating against the fuel filter holder, or the lower boost pipe, which runs along side the sump, vibrating against the sump.

Bit of sponge usually does the trick.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
It was the pipe on the fuel filter housing

Bit of 28mm pipe insulation on it did the trick, with a cable tie.

Went out a blast, some hard acceleration and pulling up hills and fine and quiet and the foams still there

Sorted

If anyone else is interested in seeing pics then il post.

Read that some people cable tied the pipe, but the intercooler pipe is supposed to be able to flex, so adding the foam lets it felx as it should

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
My 130TDI has the same, But it more of a vibrating and booming noice at between 1200-2000rpm, Once past 2000rpm its not there. Its not the boost pipe or anything as i have tryed all that, And this goes thought the whole car. My only thing i can think of is a gearbozx mount, As the car had a new clutch in it alittle while before i bought the car.

Could i be right?.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
My 130TDI has the same, But it more of a vibrating and booming noice at between 1200-2000rpm, Once past 2000rpm its not there. Its not the boost pipe or anything as i have tryed all that, And this goes thought the whole car. My only thing i can think of is a gearbozx mount, As the car had a new clutch in it alittle while before i bought the car.

Could i be right?.

Have you tried looking at the lower boost pipe that passes the sump? Or the engine cover?

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Tryed the engine cover, And everything i can see that might touch anything.

For some reason i think it could be a gearbox mount maybe?, As its more of a vibrating/booming noise which u can feel thought the car and hear.

Luke

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
me to having problems when accelerating but it only happens in second and third for a couple of seconds and it seems to be worse when going around a left hand bend more of a grumble noise. ive just had the front bushens done and hadnt noticed it before then anyone any ideas?

maffers

I know this is an old thread but thought there may still be some subscribers.
I have had the same problem, boost pipe vibrating against the fuel filter, but was curious as to why it started.

After a bit of digging I found that the pipe had partially pulled out of its connection with the cooling unit (under the front left headlamp). This had lifted the whole pipe assembly into a position at which it would then vibrate against the fuel filter.

I thought it was worth a note as it could be the same case for you. In which case your fix is only preventing the noise and you may be running at reduced boost.

There are some other good threads on here which go into more detail about this problem.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
car hasnt feel underpowered though, and just made 162bhp with a revo stage 2 (supposed to be 170bhp)
I have been under the car a few times and always have a look about everything and haven't seen anything out of place

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
car hasnt feel underpowered though, and just made 162bhp with a revo stage 2 (supposed to be 170bhp)
I have been under the car a few times and always have a look about everything and haven't seen anything out of place

Sorry, but going by your name and post no. 3 in this thread, then 162bhp for stage 2 isnt that good. Thats stage 1 territory :p

I'm assuming you've changed cars? PD100?

maffers

Definatly something to watch out for as apparently this joint is quite poorly designed and they often fail.

Im very new to the site, Is there any good reading you guys could reccomend on increasing power? Preferably with budget in mind..

I'm in a standard '04 130 sport.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Definatly something to watch out for as apparently this joint is quite poorly designed and they often fail.

Im very new to the site, Is there any good reading you guys could reccomend on increasing power? Preferably with budget in mind..

I'm in a standard '04 130 sport.

Remap. £300 for an extra 30bhp and 50lb/ft torque. (These figures are an average for stage 1 map on a PD130)

maffers

Thanks Mick. Can you reccomend anyone in Hampshire? I live in Southampton.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Thanks Mick. Can you reccomend anyone in Hampshire? I live in Southampton.

I dont know tbh mate, Im up in Glasgow lol.

P-Torque are in Wolverhampton if thats close? Or could look for a Revo dealer? P-Torque and Revo have a good reputation on here, but I suppose you could go to an Indy garage that might do maps? Although I'd rather go somewhere with a good, proven record.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.