Vibrations in door when music plays?

Dec 24, 2020
So when I play music with any sort of bass, even relatively quietly, I get a vibrations in the front door cards. More so the passenger side but it's noticable in both. It sounds like a rattle asif something is lose but when I put the window down slightly the noise pretty much goes away? Does anyone know what this could be?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I must be the odd one out. We've had three Leons and they've all been pretty tight. One had the a-pillar rattle, an easy fix, but that's it really.

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I’ve only owned one seat, so not much of a sample size, but only the driver door has an annoying vibration. Only happens when volume is high so I’ve not rushed to try the sound proofing

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Agree and disagree with jay5959

But its more general than just seat, modern cars overall rattle and vibrate so much more than cars used to, not just music and volume, but road vibration and driving aswell... cars are built for consumers now, so light and thin for fuel economy and emissions, and have to have the technology, whereas before, the cars where built well, heavy and properly, with no real technology and luxury.

Just got to deal with rattles and noises now unfortunately, sorry to break it to you

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Agree and disagree with jay5959

But its more general than just seat, modern cars overall rattle and vibrate so much more than cars used to, not just music and volume, but road vibration and driving aswell... cars are built for consumers now, so light and thin for fuel economy and emissions, and have to have the technology, whereas before, the cars where built well, heavy and properly, with no real technology and luxury.

Just got to deal with rattles and noises now unfortunately, sorry to break it to you
That’s a fair point. It’s just sad that it’s something that should be expected, even though car prices are on the rise, quality is seems to be on the decline!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
But its more general than just seat, modern cars overall rattle and vibrate so much more than cars used to...

I think you have a rose-tinted memory of what cars used to be like. I've been driving for thirty-five years and cars are MUCH quieter than they used to be. I remember taking the dashboard out of my Astra to try and fix the creaks and squeaks they were so bad.

Cars today have their own issues but they rattle less, they are less likely to break down on you, more likely to start when it's cold and damp and are just generally less of a pain in the arse to deal with. If we could keep what modern cars get right and get rid of the shite over-complicated electronics we'd have great cars!

Dec 24, 2020
I think you have a rose-tinted memory of what cars used to be like. I've been driving for thirty-five years and cars are MUCH quieter than they used to be. I remember taking the dashboard out of my Astra to try and fix the creaks and squeaks they were so bad.

Cars today have their own issues but they rattle less, they are less likely to break down on you, more likely to start when it's cold and damp and are just generally less of a pain in the arse to deal with. If we could keep what modern cars get right and get rid of the shite over-complicated electronics we'd have great cars!
Do you think it might help if I took the door card off and made sure everything was tightened up properly such as the speakers etc. Just incase anything has come loose?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My passenger door card keeps coming un-clipped around the lower edge.
I noticed it a while back - and a swift 'tap' and was back secure - but then noticed some time later it was un-clipped again!
The trouble is if the car is second hand it may have had the door card removed and not replaced correctly, we'll never know.
Door cards from 'all' manufactures are notorious for braking the little plastic clip and they rarely go back as well as before. If ever you pull a door card off I suggest new plastic clips/fittings are also used.
These plastic clips also loose their tension over the years.

Really you want to pull both door cards off, line the metal door in acoustic/damping mat, and replace the door cards with new plastic fittings, making sure wires are clipped securely and any potential rattle/squeak/tizz points have some felt tape applied.

I used to work for an automotive manufacturer (before they went into administration!) and the 'face-lift' version of a platform we had a project to go over the car with a fine toothed comb to take cost out which isn't 'visible' to the end user! First to go was the sound deadening! that of course you can't see, and the mass dampers bolted to various drive train components - Of course as engineers we said - you can't do that! - but the bean counters just see a spread sheet and either pluses or minuses.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’ve got this problem also in my 2019 R ST.

Any music with even a hint of Bass and my rear passenger door vibrates horribly.

Im finally going to get round to soundproofing it in the coming weeks when the weather improves and will use this post as help

I’m hoping a combination of sound deadening and acoustic foam will stop the vibration from the speakers when played loud ????

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Do you think it might help if I took the door card off and made sure everything was tightened up properly such as the speakers etc. Just incase anything has come loose?

That usually helps. You just need to be careful you don't make it worse in the process. I took the tailgate trim off our last car. it was creak-free before I took it off...

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Under the door cards are plastic inspection panels. Stick them on with some sticky sound deadning matt. Stopped all the rattles in the door.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley

Ah mate, I completely agree with what your saying in regards to overall quality and reliability with regards to general old vs new cars. In the way, would I change my new car for a 90s car for example, no way would I !

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Sometimes it's down to luck. My 63 plate MK3 Leon rattled everywhere. Engine rattled at low speed (2.0TDI), a pillar did, fixed then, then realised so did the instrument binicle, that had a quieter rattle, so didn't hear initially. Then finally the door rattle, hence if there was any bass music, it vibrate and drove me nuts! I visited the dealer twice, to fix these 3 rattles, for the door, then stripped both door cards, they added some expanding foam noodle things, and it was silent, and the music sounded better. This was the Leon, my Mk5 facelift 66 plate Ibiza 1.0TSI, nothing rattled, unless going over cobbled streets or any road inperfection (it had 40 profile 17 inch tyres), then the entire car would shudder including the driver! But nothing rattles. Currently have a Volvo V40, and this one nothing rattles or shudders (55 profile tyre help) at all! Next up would be an 21 plate A3, fingers cross, nothing rattles there!

Reactions: Mr Pig
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise