VW DataPlug

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Has anyone tried the free VW DataPlug in their Seat yet? I’ve cheekily ordered one and will pick it up later, but thought I’d check to see if anyone has tried it.

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition (Alor Blue)
Performance: Racingline OEM+ Stage One Mapping | Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount | GFB DV+
Interior: Koonlung K1S Dash Cam with BlackVue Power Magic Pro
Exterior: TRC Front Splitter | Foliatec Exhaust Paint Gloss Black

cupraboys122000

Aug 13, 2017
Manchester
Has anyone tried the free VW DataPlug in their Seat yet? I’ve cheekily ordered one and will pick it up later, but thought I’d check to see if anyone has tried it.

Performance: Racingline OEM+ Stage One Mapping | Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount | GFB DV+

i was thinking of getting one, how do i order it?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Can confirm it does work in my Leon :)

I just phoned the local VW dealer and asked. Apparently there is a website you can request through too.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
So what does it do? Is it a data logging device or does it allow coding of ecu similar to obd11?

Just data logging and info about the car like next service, maps your journeys, etc

OwenMc

Oct 4, 2017
Hants
Canned blurb, lifted from an eBay ad:

The Volkswagen DataPlug sends real-time vehicle data to a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. In conjunction with the app Volkswagen ConnectedVan on the smartphone, a large number of data can be evaluated and displayed. For this purpose, the 16-pin plug is plugged into the ODB-2 interface of the vehicle and does not require a separate power supply. Thus, the driver of the vehicle is always informed about the vehicle state at the very latest. Compatible apps can be downloaded from the AppStore and the Google Play store. Available apps are eg Volkswagen ConnectedVan. Interface:Bluetooth®Market availability: EuropeDelivery:Installation and operating instructions1 pieceOnly in connection with:Connected Cars & Vans (VW Vehicles)​

and the from the Google Store:

Connect your Volkswagen with your Smartphone
... nobody knows your car now better than you do.

The more we connect, the more we experience.
The more information we gain, the better the knowledge we have.
Advantages through connectivity – VW Connect opens new possibilities for you and your car. Would it not be great if you find out where your car was parked yesterday via your smartphone, how efficient your driving style is, how often you have already refueled this month and when the next service appointment should be?

You do not need much at all, to connect your Volkswagen
with your Smartphone, even if your car is not new anymore.
Because there is now a connectivity solution to retrofit for most of the Volkswagen models from 2008 onwards: The DataPlug is simply plugged into the diagnostic connection of your Volkswagen (OBD-2-connector).
You can get it at your nearest Volkswagen dealership or online via (a URL I can't post)

And Volkswagen Connect brings you the following functions
to your Smartphone:

→ My Volkswagen – Overview of the most important vehicle data
→ Trips – Recording of all driven journeys: Logbook function with possibility to mark your business journeys.
→ Driving style– Analyze your driving behavior
→ Parking space – Shows the last parking position of your vehicle
→ Fuel monitor – Overview of the fuel costs
→ Service partner – Dealerships in your area
→ Assistance call – Direct call in emergencies
→ Challenges – Fulfill predefined tasks and win awards

Our developer team is continuously improving the app and adding further functions.

You need Android from version 5.0.
In general, you should always have your Operating System on the latest version.
In order to use all VW Connect functions, you need a DataPlug.
The use of the GPS function may reduce your battery running time.​

OwenMc

Oct 4, 2017
Hants
Paraphrasing the VW Connect App Ts&Cs:

- data stored on VW server
- uses mobile device data connection to report back to server
- "VW AG shall protect the personal data of the user..."
- "The user shall grant VW AG ..... a ... usage right unlimited in terms of time & content to other data, particularly tech data .... "

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Didn't work on mine. It recognised it as a Leon and recognised the VIN but wouldn't do anything else.

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017

Not sure why anyone would want it then, especially considering it monitors 'driving behaviour.' Sounds like a blackbox for insurance, where they will try and use the data to screw you over in the long run if anything goes wrong and you need warranty work.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
That's exactly what it is, it feeds VW UK details that they feed to dealers... if a warning light comes on the dealer will call you instantly to book you in £££££

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Couldn't be doing with that level of 'spying' Is this thing free?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
Seems a shame really, as it will more than likely just be used to con the general public who know no better.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
It’s free to get at the moment - but not sure how much data is generated from the phone and how much is generated from the car. Speed and location could easily be done via phone gps.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Couldn't be doing with that level of 'spying' Is this thing free?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yep its free. So VW give them out free.

Engine light comes on, usually the person will drive round for months like this, Local VW calls the person and says this needs going. person thinks wow what great service while handing over £££-££££

win win for VW haha

leonisis

Quick enough for me....
Mar 21, 2016
Bangor NI
Dealer in Belfast wouldn't give me one without registration number or chassis number as it has to be 'set up' apparently...lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Dealer in Belfast wouldn't give me one without registration number or chassis number as it has to be 'set up' apparently...lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I managed to get two from the dealer - said I wanted one for a friend - happily handed them over. Didn’t say I had a VW or that I had a Seat.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise