Wait for new Leon FR or Octavia VRS

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
I am in a bit of a dilema, i had thought of changing to a MK1 Leon FR TDI but then decided that it wasnt enough of a power increase from my Ibiza FR so ive been on the lookout for something else.

I had a visit to a Skoda garage to have a look at the New Octavia VRS and i have to say im impressed and wanted one straight away! They are lovely inside and i like the understated styling outside and the performance figures are pretty impressive too, 0-60 in 7.1 secs, and top speed 149mph. :drool:

Now ive calmed down and re-thought the situation Im thinking about waiting for the New Leon FR or Cupra (Though think Cupra will be outside my budget, Skoda salesman said he heard it was going to be £23k, which seems strangely high for a SEAT!). As the FR is going to have the same 2.0 TFSI engine and hopefully 200bhp as well do you think this would be worth waiting for over the Octavia?

Any opinions or thoughts would be great!! :clap:
Cheers.

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Yeah im thinking about it..... :confused:

I am only averaging about 9-10k miles/year at theminute so its only saving me about £30/month which I would be happy losing to get a fast petrol!

Iwas out in my brothers A3 1.8T Sport which makes me miss the longer revs and not having to change at 3500.
But saying that I would definately miss the Torque. :(

I want a car that is quick enough standard as my insurance (N.Ireland) isnt being very nice to me when it comes to re-mapping (dearer to re-map my FR than get insured on a Group 16 or 17 car! )

The thing is I would preferably like to stay with SEAT which makes me want to wait maybe until the new Leon FR. To be honest I wish I had bought the Ibiza Cupra TDI instead of the FR although if changing I need a bigger car.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
No way the Cupra will be more than the Golf GTi, unless it comes with a **** load more extras, and some seriously big power figures, and/or 4WD.

£23k is unrealistic for the market it will be in, its chief rivals are all sub £20k. You can even buy an A3 2.0T S-Line for that kind of money, i think the new R32 starts about the 23-24k mark aswell. Not on your nelly will the Cupra be that amount. :p

The new Skoda Octavia vRS is a nice car, great spec, and value, just not so keen on the looks of this new Octavia myself, its a bit too understated for what i expect from a top range sports saloon.

Last edited:

dramosuk

Naughty Skoda Man!

I think the Skoda sales man was just trying to get a sale. No way would the Seat Leon Cupra cost £23k.:wtf:
Thats Audi prices. If this was the case, Seat would price themselves out of the Market. It would have to have more than 240bhp!
The Astra VXR which has around 240bhp costs from £19k.
I wouldn't believe him. £20k would be pushing it. £18k would be closer i feel.

Also it depends on how you use the car. The Skoda is a Saloon not a Hatchback. I like the Octavia vRS but i prefer a Hatchback for its practicallity, so I would wait for the Leon Cupra. Unless the Skoda man could give me a really GOOD deal on the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
dramosuk said:
The Skoda is a Saloon not a Hatchback. I like the Octavia vRS but i prefer a Hatchback for its practicallity, so I would wait for the Leon Cupra. Unless the Skoda man could give me a really GOOD deal on the car.
Surely the Octavia vRS is a hatchback but with an extended boot, which makes it look like a saloon. The back window panel lifts up like any other hatchback.

mr_claypole

may the farce be with you
does make you wonder where they have pegged the cupra (if it is going to exist) price and performance wise doesnt it... when you can buy a 2.0tfsi sport 185bhp, meaning the FR will get the 200bhp.. leaving the cupra with an engine? well if it is 240(ish) bhp, that would be one better than any other tfsi engine in the vag group and i cant see it happening personally....

all theoretical mind...

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Except the new S3 is slated to have a fairly potent version of the 2.0TFSi engine, quite a bit more than 240bhp if i remember correctly, 280 i think, but ive no reference to support that at the moment, but i have read it.

I know the new race spec Leon Supercopa, runs a 280bhp version of the TFSi. And its that car, the Leon Cupra is most likely to be modeled after.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
wait and see what the leon looks like.as nicely specced as the vrs is,just doesn't look like a range topper.i can't see me buying one in the distant future.
though a pair of front seats wouldn't go a miss .

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Thanks for all your views on this, I think I have decided to wait until the end of the year or after next Xmas and then il have a better idea what to do. There may even be a nice used example of the new Cupra! ;)
I did really like the Octavia VRS but i do agree that maybe its a bit too under-stated and im sure the new Leon Cupra will be pretty aggressive! :happy:

I did guess the Skoda dealer was taking the p1ss with his estimate on the price of the new Cupra but im also pretty sure it will be a good bit more than the £17,500 for the VRS, probably between £18k - £19k. Hopefully some discount will be available after its been out for a few months...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.