Water in doors?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'd love to be able to help you with the satnav, but mine can't even recognise the local A roads, so I have no idea whether it has trouble locking on or whether it's just out of date.

The seals are virtually impossible to visually check, I've opened my doors up and not seen any trace of water, and yet they still leak. But I guess doing the sealant is worthwhile, and if it fixes it then you're one of the lucky ones.

andycupra

status subject to change
sounds like its struggling to lock on. which would be down to a poor signal.
i presume you have standar head unit etc, (or is this incorporated)

i also presume you have not replaced the windscreen with a different type.. eg anti radiant screen i think they are.

is the radio signal ok?

There are things called re-radiating antenna units for gps devices.
Years ago i had a gps device located low down in the car under the dash, so had poor signal. A re-radiating antenna was basically a gps antenna that you could locate somewhere good for a signal, (eg top of dash near windscreeen of top or rear window.. and then run the other end to the gps device. It would basically re-radiate the signal to the gps device.

However i would expect that a built in sat nav wouild be designed to work ok in its location.

AP_V5

Jan 19, 2010
Sussex
The built in sat nav has an antenna built into the base of the aerial on the roof, so you'd have to drop the rear of the headlining to physically check the connection at the antenna end.

bevans

I hadn't bothered using the radio before (I don't particularly like popular music) but the missus put it on today and it had really bad reception on all stations, so i'm thinking there is something wrong with the antenna or perhaps the connection between the antenna and the stereo / sat nav.

Will try using some credit cards to get the unit out otherwise I'll have to buy whatever key things I need to release it, anyone know what it needs?

bevans

So having cleaned the car today I noticed water in the drivers footwell. After some investigation the water was coming in from the small "hole" to the right of the accelerator pedal (it has a blue wire sticking through it).

I checked the engine bay and could see a load of muck in the top left bit (sorry I don't know the technical terms!). So I pulled back the seal and lifted the cover, cleaned a hell of a lot of leaves, grass and dirt out. Sprayed some water down before I cleaned it out and whilst some was draining properly out of the engine bay the rest of coming inside the car. After cleaning it out it all seems to be running out of the engine bay properly.

Fingers crossed that this has fixed it.

As for the sat nav etc, thanks Slimy I ordered the 'keys' and will check if it is all plugged in correctly when they arrive. I'm hoping it is a simple case of the antenna not being plugged into the unit properly.

Jordan1990

My V5 has a metallic rattle when accelerating, it's a loose heatshield on the exhaust. I'll get round to fixing it eventually!

There is a huge amount of induction noise on the V5, most is smothered by the airbox but you can usually hear at least something. It's more important that it spins up smoothly from idle, that means the MAF sensor is fine.

My car also has leaky doors, I have the proper sealing material to fix it but not got round to it yet. You can get it done at SEAT, I think the going rate is £100-£150 but that's mostly labour. And yes, my discs also turn brown after being stationary for a week.

Hang on, you weren't looking at my car were you? ;)

I think the heatshield on the exhaust might be another common problem, im looking at buying one at the moment and both that ive been to look at i heard a metal rattling noise, first thing i did was look underneath and i could see the shield rattling

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
With all this talk about water in the doors earlier in the thread, would a tube of silicon sealant and a caulking gun do the trick???

It's a temporary fix at best, mine were done with some sort of sealant and now they're leaking again. It's just easier to buy the proper stuff and do the job once.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I own a Toledo, but none of this has happened to me before

You're one of the lucky ones! :) Although it's not a 'Toledo' fault as such, it's a VAG fault. Look around for mark 4 Golf forums and other cars on the same chassis, and you'll find just as many people with leaky doors.