water leak

thomas watts

Hi
HELP needed please.
I have a 2007 altea xl and I have water in the footwell of the drivers and footwell behind the drivers seat:( .A garage has had alook on its mot and cant anything does anyone know where else it might be coming in.Is it a common problem.
Its driving me mad.many thanks to anyone that has any suggestions.:D

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Thomas

I have had my Altea for over 7 years and had most of the common faults. I have not had this one. It appears to be a common fault and pops up many times over this site. Just trawl through and some one will come to your rescue! Common faults include a leaking windscreen, leaking door seals and a leaking pollen filter.......take your pick:D
Good luck!

thomas watts

Thanks for the reply I will certinally try the suggusted things you mentioned.
many thanks

martin.cat

Pass I had it fixed under warranty

I guess it will be somewhere in middle behind heat and radio.

They said the drain should go through bulk head into engine compartment but wasn't hence leak

All four wells were soaked and I vaxed up loads maybe as much as 5 liters. The underlay is a real big sponge.

I found carpets didn't get wet when parked in rain it was only on long drives so the diagnosis seemed to fit and its been fine since

widdy

Oct 31, 2002
Fareham, Hants
Visit site
Just checked tonight and both front and rear footwells are wet, but only on the drivers side.

Does this sounds like an Air Con problem with the drain blocked or hose split ??

Checked the carpet at the side going up to the centre console and this is dry.

What is the grill for that is located outside underneath the drivers seating position ???

widdy

Oct 31, 2002
Fareham, Hants
Visit site
No further on with this, although did manage to get two bowls of water from the footwells, plus numerous newspapers under the overmats. Doesn''t seem to be as bad at the moment, but haven't really checked.

Did notice though a slight drip of water by the rear speaker grill in drivers side rear door. Will try giving it a dose of water and see what happens

I checked all seals and they seem OK.

Haven't managed to get the car booked in yet.

Will update again in a weeks time or so

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
You alkso have to keep the bonnet arm wells free of leaves and debris- they attratc leaves like a magnet. You have to take scuttle panel of first to get good access. Otherwise drai holes bung up and it will trtack in thru bulkhead.

widdy

Oct 31, 2002
Fareham, Hants
Visit site
Already checked for leaves etc, when the bonnet is lifted I can see down to the floor through the 10p piece size hole, where the bonnet hinge is, so no leaf issue. Haven't completely removed the front scuttle, but lifted after taking rubber seal off.

Ongoing !!!!

widdy

Oct 31, 2002
Fareham, Hants
Visit site
Car was in main dealer on Monday and could not find any water ingress. Credit due, thye didn't charge me for the time spent looking.

Although car was washed whilst there and now there is as much water again in the footwell.

Going to double check the scuttle again tonight, plus also putting newspaper behind pedal assembly to see if this is where the water is getting in from the bulkhead.

Apart from the dealer completley stripping the car interior and dashboard apart (£££££'s) I am still no further on in resolving this annoying fault.

widdy

Oct 31, 2002
Fareham, Hants
Visit site
No, I think it might be something I have to live with.
I did notice recently that after travelling back through heavy rain the carpet was wet again.
So it may be coming it that way, who knows.
I will have to do some checks.
I also have an incling ?? it be be coming in when a pressure washer is used.
It may be just a process of elimination.
I cannot afford to keep taking it back to the dealers to try and resolve.

Peeps, Are you getting same issue ??

peeps

Jun 3, 2011
Hi widdy I have a 2.0 tdi sport which I have had for 8'years! The last few years it has been steaming up in the winter. I may have some slight dampness under the drivers mat but certainly not soaked. (See my thread 'steaming up'!). I did read that leaks could be anything from welded seams leaking, to a grommet missing, to condensate pipe blocked and leaking. I have some silica gel pads in the car to try and resolve it.:(;):)

Godders

Hi
HELP needed please.
I have a 2007 altea xl and I have water in the footwell of the drivers and footwell behind the drivers seat:( .A garage has had alook on its mot and cant anything does anyone know where else it might be coming in.Is it a common problem.
Its driving me mad.many thanks to anyone that has any suggestions.:D

I had this exact problem a couple of years ago.

Mine was leaking through the engine compartment bulkhead where the weld seams weren't properly sealed (or weren't sealed at all). It was clearly like this from new. 2mm gaps were visible from the photos I saw; so whenever it rained, and particularly when I was driving in the rain the front drivers footwell and rear footwell got really wet.

Its a mission to fix and involves stripping all the carpets in the front back as it was down near the pedals.

Some silicone sealant fixed mine, and it was dry after that for the rest of the time I had the vehicle.

It was Southern Windscreens near Reading who eventually fixed mine.

Hope this helps