Wear and tear to leather

Kuang

I'm hopefully off to look at another Cupra properly tomorrow after just missing a great Ovni one a few weeks back, but when I had a glance in the other day I noticed something a bit odd.

The car has done 50k and has an HPI check (by the dealer) and FSSH to back up the mileage, yet the leather around the top quarter of the front face of the wheel is worn to grey, and likewise the leather around the top of the gearstick. I couldn't see the pedal rubbers too well, but they looked fairly new. It's imperial blue so has a lot of stonechips but I don't know if it's the expected amount or too many for the miles.

Does anyone know if the leather used has been through bad manufacturing patches where it can wear ahead of expectations? The rest of the car looks straight and well kept, but that's just niggling at me. Has anyone had any luck patching this sort of thing up without re-covering?

Cheers :)

Chris20vT

Touch the pipe...!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2006
Norwich
If it helps, my '52' LC has full leather and is about to hit 35k. I'm the second owner but the steering wheel is not that worn at all and not any trace of it wearing on the gearlever shroud.

The seats in the front have gone 'shiny' but the rears are brand new with a natural 'matt' looking finish to them (because no-one has hardly sat in them).

I guess it varies from owner to owner and if they look after the car or not. But a worn out wheel and gear lever gaitor after 50k seems a bit abused.

Last edited:

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Yes - this is a common problem Kuang. I have a LCR which had done 30k miles and already the steering wheel and gear knob are quite badly worn. Apparantly it is caused by rings.

I tried to get this replaced under warranty but the dealer told me it was 'general wear and tear' so it is not covered. When I have my next service though I am going to push this as wear like this on 30k (and even worse on 50k by the sounds of it) is not acceptable. Just imagine what it will be like on 100k??

In short - the dealer did try to patch up the gear knob but did an absolute shite job - I think it would be better to buy new ones, because patching up will only hide the problem and will come back (unless patched up very well).

If i were you do a search as this has cropped up before. :)

May 30, 2002
Bedford (innit)
I've got an 02 plated Leather Cupra and I don't think it is anywhere near that bad and I've got 74k on the clock.

I can send you pics of mine inside later if you want to pm your e-mail address