weird handling issue

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
ok i was coming back from a mates house the other day, going down a back road which isn't the best. bumpy at edges and only about a car and a half's width or a little more wide

anyway i was travelling down the centre not going amazingly fast, and the body started rocking from side to side not violently but kinda gentle for about 10-15secs in total and it petered out.

now it wasn't the road as i have never had it happen before, and the centre bit where i was was not unever enough to do this. tested the shocks and all seem fine apart from the front drivers side which is a little weak, so i am a little confused as to what it may be causing it.

its not just there but on all roads the body seems unconnected to the wheelbase, and i feel i have to take extra care in corners as the body seems to want to go a diff way to the wheels which i know is normal but i am not doing the speeds needed to feel this.

also what size diameter is it for a hot air intake pipe for the engine for a 1.4 8v ibiza?

bizaman

I am The BOFH
Feb 23, 2005
Satans Layby
bizaman.blogspot.com
Will pop and measure the intake pipe for you in a bit take it you mean the one that comes in from the crank case or do you mean the one from the exhaust manifold.
As for handling standard wheels? suspension? Have you had the carriers unbolted for any reason? Could be a few things. Could be previous owner damage.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
erm wheels are standard ones, same with suspension. all stock as far as i know

its the pipe that comes from the top of the engine near the radiator and goes in on the black tube on the top of the engine which draws in air

sorry for my crap explanantion :redface:

flubba-jubba

this is the only thread i can find that sounds similar.....but i think my car has done the same?? its not all the time but i noticed the car appeared to "rock" back and forth......i thought it was the road at first but the road i was driving on was quite smooth.

the suspension seems to be ok, any suggestions as to what else to check??

flubba-jubba

How have you checked the suspension?

Is it a road you use often? Try going down it again at a different speed.

only tested the suspension by driving it and the "bounce" test :D

was a road i use often, i drove the car to tesco and back this evening and everything felt ok, the only thing was when i booted it up the ring road it was a bit jolty/jerky ........ but no strange rocking this time :blink:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.