Weird leak on my V5

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Strange leak I am getting at the bottom of the drivers door.

Its not much but it seems to be coming over the top of the seal as if the door is not shutting tightly enough. I think someone may have looked at it before as there are 2 screws missing at the bottom of the drivers door card, will replace those tonight.

Am I right in saying that I can move the door latch in to make the door shut more tightly against the seal?

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
This is only happening on the drivers door. Think its the old favourite where the water collects under the door and I get a splash of water when I open the door.

Quite satisfying!

Hopefully if I clear any blocked drain holes and adjust the door latch to tighten the seal it might fix it.

Really don't want to have to remove the door cards!

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Just had a look and it appears that the seal at the bottom of the door had had notches cut out to allow the water to escape. It also seems that the drainage holes are clear.

It looks like the doorcard has been removed in the past as the 2 screws are missing at the bottom. I expect it has been taken back to a dealer to be looked at for leaks and they forgot them.

I have a horrible feeling I will have to remove the doorcard this weekend and reseal the panel behind it. Grrr!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I see you checked out the thread with the guide on resealing the door. Is the water actually getting into the footwell? It's just that it's quite common on the Toledo/Leon for water to creep up to the edge of the sill as most of the time you tend to park with the near side to the pavement and the camber of most roads means the water tends to rest up to the lip. If it's actually getting into the footwell then obviously it needs sorting, but if not and it's just because you see water collect there a bit I shouldn't worry.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Yeah many thanks for replying Gray, its not that much water that collects and is only on the drivers door. It doesn't seem to get to the footwell and just appears to be creeping up the main door seal.

At first I thought it was because the door was not sealing but I am not so sure now?

All of the footwells seem dry but I think they may have got damp in the past possibly. Just looking out of the window now the Tolly seems a little steamed up but not much. I might just try moving the door latch in a little this morning before I go off to Kent to get my glovebox lining.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
What a mission that was! Took the door panel off yesterday and I don't recommend it. I ran a bead of silkaflex around the door and panel and it all got rather messy - but it certainly won't be leaking!

I recommend just loosening it so you can get between it and door to just run a bead of sealant around it rather than taking it off.

Problem I came accross is that the door lock and central locking motor is attached to the panel - whats that about!? I removed the bracket and sealed the holes as I think its silly to have the lock attached to the panel as you cannot remove just the panel on its own. I also didn't have the correct torx bit for the door lock so couldn't remove it anyhow.

Fingers crossed there won't be any water coming in!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Hopefully not mate after all that! Still expect water that has drained to rest around the sill area though - especially when parked on a camber.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Phew, its still all over my hands. Only a mixture of using white spirit and washing powder seems to shift the stuff!

I can't be bothered with anymore today, gonna put it back together in the week, its good enough to drive to work.

Timster

Hi folks, This sounds exactly what i have got going on with mine, a damp musty smell made me investigate and what with all this rain i thought it just may have been the odd splash finding it's way in the car via the bottom of the doors. but on further investigation it looks like it's from the bottom of the door cards, just under the speaker pods. Are there any guides out there that i can follow for this repair, any help will be much appreciated.

Ps, I have a 2000"W"plate 10v, (with a rumbly clutch)

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Hi folks, This sounds exactly what i have got going on with mine, a damp musty smell made me investigate and what with all this rain i thought it just may have been the odd splash finding it's way in the car via the bottom of the doors. but on further investigation it looks like it's from the bottom of the door cards, just under the speaker pods. Are there any guides out there that i can follow for this repair, any help will be much appreciated.

Ps, I have a 2000"W"plate 10v, (with a rumbly clutch)

It's worth doing a search for these things: Door Leak Guide

nigel.maddern7

water in

have just had all seals and door cards replaced on my toledo v5 [2001] by the dealer under warrenty [lucky me]as i was getting water in.unfortantly its still happening but no where near as bad.:( a inherent problem i think

Dr Nick

I bet they didn't clean the door panels up of the old foam before doing this.

Bet you £1.

I reckon you may be right, I went down the silicone sealer route and my footwells are now mercifully clear of water.

Timster

Well, here's my story so far!
I must start by thanking GrayT for his top Guide! really made thinks alot clearer.

Any road, I took off the sill trim, door card and got to work, under the sound proofing was sodden and a pool of water had gathered near the transmission tunnel(months worth) so 4 rolls of kitchen towell to help mop this up.

It looks like someone has had a go at this repair before as white silicon everywere, but water is still getting in! no real supprise as they just put it in top of the origional foam seal!

so did i undid the bolts and just cleaned all the old foam and silicon off and replaced it with Seam sealer, so waiting for next down pour to see if it works.

I'll keep you posted!

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Its definitely worth doing it properly, I did the drivers door with sealant without cleaning the foam stuff off and it just leaked again, it was messy and horrible. Ended up having to do the job again.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise