What A Month Of Motoring!

Mat

Well, it's a pretty shoddy month of car ownership so far.

Summary of past few weeks:
  • Back end of January, Clutch Peddle snapped
  • Same time, had full service, including cambelt change
  • This resulted in scratches on rear quarter and drivers door and wheel
  • Got car back, had timing issues, was told it was the Camshaft sensor, replaced, not fixed
  • Also required new wheel hub
  • Went back in garage last week to get wheel hub fitted and sort timing issue
  • Hub fitted, timing issue still a problem (told need Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors)
  • Slow puncture on rear tyre and 2 front goin bald (due to tracking off badly)
  • Ordered tyres
  • Tonight (17th Feb), blow out on rear, no locking wheel nut - garage still have it
  • Wait 1 hour for RAC
  • Total cost so far - Approx £600 Not yet had tyres done or tracking

I guess looking at the bigger picture, I've had the car since the start of September 2008 and only just experience "issues". And TBH, seems a "simple" issue (ie, new sensor required). Others are just wear and tear...

Also needing new brakes VERY soon

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Feel for you mate, sounds like a tough one this month.
There isnt anything more fustrating than your pride and joy / car not working or not right.

Im abit of a perfectionist when it comes to cars, which has cost me a fortune over the past year on the cupra!... should have gone and just bought a new car...

Only thing thats caused me an inconvenience is when the plastic impeller on the water pump gave up, thankfully I wasn't too far from home or Awesome gti, I do a lot of working away, so was quite lucky really.

On the list of jobs for mine over the next 3 months:

all four wheel bearings (one is starting to howl) front wheel hubs, new discs & pads on the front along with a Brembo overhaul and 4 new tyres. :banned:

All part of the fun I guess... Next car I buy will be new... quite liking the look of the new Subaru Legacy.:whistle:

Mat

indeed.... even given up cleaning as i rate CBA!

was planning some power mods this year (hybrid etc) but gota clear these debt now.... may just about manage coilovers this year and thats it! Considering this time last year I had Cat-Back fitted, FMIC and had grands worth of brembos on order, and still had some savings!

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
indeed.... even given up cleaning as i rate CBA!

was planning some power mods this year (hybrid etc) but gota clear these debt now.... may just about manage coilovers this year and thats it! Considering this time last year I had Cat-Back fitted, FMIC and had grands worth of brembos on order, and still had some savings!

I also have coilies on the wish-list!

I guess the plain fact of the matter is, these cars are starting to age now..combined with mileage, were bound to need to start replacing things..

My big plan is to get another year or two out of the car before I sell it, the way im looking at it is that if im replacing the general wear and tear items, bushes, suspension, bearings.. etc.. im hoping it will be relatively hassle free over the rest of the period I own it... touch wood.

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
Seems some bad luck for you

I know how you feel ive shed about £1k into mine since buying 7 months ago

Just when you think nothing else could possibly happen.....it does!

daves ibiza

i read i while back someone goin on about issues and you commented i havnt had any , just goes to show it happens to all of us :cry:. as for tyres ect wear and tear is always goin to be a problem on these cars because i dont no anyone who has a standard cupra and planning on keeping it that way . my car is starting to to my nut in its newer than last one :cry:by 2 years and got 25k less milage and suffering teathing problems now. would i buy another cupra .my answer is no .

hope you get sorted mate as i really feel for you. need any parts holla ;)

matsportline

Dec 26, 2006
I've got a dodgy front brake smoking and stinking from front caliper had it all apart and can't see anything wrong with it! rubbish cars lol

Mat

UPDATE:

Ok, so just been and had tyres changed.... Hit a problem straight away, they couldn't get the locking wheel nut off! The nut was ****ed, and the "key" wasn't too good either.... So off to garage, and got them to take all locking nuts out!

Back to tyre place, and one of the nust in drivers front wheel is missing a thread or two at the bottom end. Anyway, maneged to change tyres, and was hoping to get tracking done too! Mistake, I need camber doing.

When I went round Cadwell, as you come out of the "twistys"/Barn, you take the long straight, and a left bend through Coppice. Those who know, you can take this pretty much flat out, at near enough a tonne, think I was doin 90ish all day. I do remember taking to much of the apex and hearing analmight thud. So I think that that shafted the camber.

So, now all I need to do is:
  • Order a full new set of nuts
    Get the Camber & Tracking sorted
    Fix the timing issue (hopefully just the sensors)
    Repair the scratches

Hopefully it'll all be ok again soon, and back to happy motoring. Show season is almost hear, then I will be happy :D

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
90 mph on the main road............tut tut tut be carefull what you write on forums bud ive herd tails abot people being busted for this kinnda stuff,dont know how true it all is just thought id share that with you

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
mat what is there error code your getting for your timing. and i am 99% sure its not a sensor you need.

timing cover needs to come off. check timing. then crank around once back to timing and see if its lined up. i bet its out by 1 tooth and this is your problem. 99% sure of it

Mat

timing has been check MANY times by several machanics at 2 garages! even been on a diagnotics machine and picked up the sensors.... Even picked up I need a new fuel sendor as mine is intermittantly faulty (all of which have NEVER appeard on VAG COM)

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
is your timing throwing up a light. and what code? if your timing is out a cel will appear as i had on mine.

to check if the sensors are working all you have to do is unplug them when the car is running

Mat

where's the crankshaft sensor? is it safe to unplug them? what will happen?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.