What an experience... advice please.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Last night my car spun out on me on a 90 degree bend covered in pig crap or whatever the tractors left behind. I didn't feel I was going quick but quick enough for my left hand rear tyre to step out, I tried to correct it and it pointed me towards a high kerb which the car hit with the drivers front wheel causing it to jump in the air and putting me almost in a ditch with my girl aswell. I had to clamber out the passenger side and with a few people on the back of the car to get the rear left wheel back on the floor we pulled it back out. Trouble was, as we pulled it out, the kerb I just cleared when hitting it, the whole car dropped on its bellypanel. It has scratched, cracked and dented the plastic underneath and a heatshield. Just wondering what to look out for. The front tyre was fine, still inflated, tracking seems to be fine aswell. I'm shaken and I had to take my girl to the hospital for head injuries. Pretty scary night all in all, but if there is no major damage to the car other then cosmetic, a round of applause to Seat for building a very strong car. People will probably say I was going too fast or messing around when this time, I can honestly say I wasn't, it happened so quickly I didn't know what to do. So if someone could just give me a few points to check, as I said wheel doesn't appear buckeled, tyre seems fine and so does tracking.

thanks guys,

Danny.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
:-o That sounds scary... glad you emerged in one piece mate ! Hope your girl is OK.

What tyres are you running ?

Sounds like they might be the culprits...if they are worn or a hard compound, a bit of mess on the road can cause havoc !

I live in the country so know what you mean, I face this hazard on a regular basis...

Check out the tyres for tread depth and consider an upgrade before winter...:

I would also take it into the local dealer for a proper check on the suspension and wheel alignment...if there are probs with it, claim on the insurance. :whistle:

Last edited:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
That sounds scary... glad you emerged in one piece mate !

What tyres are you running ?

Sounds like they might be the culprits...if they are worn or a hard compound, a bit of mess on the road can cause havoc !

I live in the country so know what you mean, I face this hazard on a regular basis...

Check out the tyres for tread depth and consider an upgrade before winter...:)

The tyre that didn't want to play ball was my most worn Pirelli Pzero, the only one I haven't had replaced yet with about 4mm on it. I think that was the problem I just want to make sure my car is fine, it drives fine, but I don't want to think all is okay and then there be a load of problems down the line.

Danny.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I can strongly recommend going over to Goodyears (F1 Assymetrics) they are amazing in wet or dry...many guys on this website recommended them to me and I have been astonished by the grip levels.

You really want to get the car checked over though, for safety reasons.

Good luck with it.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
The tyre that didn't want to play ball was my most worn Pirelli Pzero, the only one I haven't had replaced yet with about 4mm on it.
Danny.

Are you saying you do not replace BOTH tyres on either (particularly) front or rear together or at least put best legal worns on rear?

Last edited:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Are you saying you do not replace BOTH tyres on either (particularly) front or rear together or at least put best legal worns on rear?

No, as the tyre that was on the back was replaced earlier this year due to puncture so I didn't get it replaced as it was a waste of money, but now I realise maybe I should have had it done.

Danny.

This is exactly why you should always replace tyres in pairs (or all 4 at the same time) and put the new pair of tyres on the rear wheels. If you lose grip at the front the car will understeer, if you lose grip at the back it will oversteer with the possibility of a spin which is much harder to catch. Glad the consequences weren't too serious....hope your g/f is OK and you get the car sorted.

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
Last night my car spun out on me on a 90 degree bend covered in pig crap or whatever the tractors left behind. I didn't feel I was going quick but quick enough for my left hand rear tyre to step out, I tried to correct it and it pointed me towards a high kerb which the car hit with the drivers front wheel causing it to jump in the air and putting me almost in a ditch with my girl aswell. I had to clamber out the passenger side and with a few people on the back of the car to get the rear left wheel back on the floor we pulled it back out. Trouble was, as we pulled it out, the kerb I just cleared when hitting it, the whole car dropped on its bellypanel. It has scratched, cracked and dented the plastic underneath and a heatshield. Just wondering what to look out for. The front tyre was fine, still inflated, tracking seems to be fine aswell. I'm shaken and I had to take my girl to the hospital for head injuries. Pretty scary night all in all, but if there is no major damage to the car other then cosmetic, a round of applause to Seat for building a very strong car. People will probably say I was going too fast or messing around when this time, I can honestly say I wasn't, it happened so quickly I didn't know what to do. So if someone could just give me a few points to check, as I said wheel doesn't appear buckeled, tyre seems fine and so does tracking.

thanks guys,

Danny.

At least you're both ok. I wouldn't for one moment want to criticise your driving, I wasn't there!!...but if you'd like to increase your confidence & ability have a look at this http://www.iam.org.uk/

I considered myself to be a good driver before I did this, but I soon found out I didn't know as much as I thought I did. You get tested for 1-1.5hrs by a serving or ex police officer also.

Hope the car is ok.

bizzaboy

Sorry to hear about your experience. Recommend you get you car into a garage for a thorough examination on a ramp (so the underside can be properly checked out), even if it does still drive fine.

The fact your car jumped into the air following the impact with the curb could quite easily have bent a steering component, or caused some other mechanical fatigue.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I'd get it into a garage asap and not drive it unless you have to. Hitting a kerb at speed will have damaged something, but bouncing up and over it at least deflected the energy away from the hub etc. Bare minimum is to get the alignment done.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I'd get it into a garage asap and not drive it unless you have to. Hitting a kerb at speed will have damaged something, but bouncing up and over it at least deflected the energy away from the hub etc. Bare minimum is to get the alignment done.

Tracking is getting checked on Thursday, one of the heatshields has been dented a fair bit, worth getting it looked at? My car just doesn't feel like it used too, it might just be me being paranoid, not sure.

Danny.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I had a similar experience but on black ice back in Feb - car went sideways round a 90 degree corner at no more than 10mph but the car just hit the kerb sideways on. Sent me out of my seat into the window as it didn't bounce up and over. Car went into the dealers and I was £800 lighter for the repairs, plus the £250 on wheel refurb.

It may not be that bad if it seems to drive straight, but always best to get it checked - make sure it's full four wheel alignment as well.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I had a similar experience but on black ice back in Feb - car went sideways round a 90 degree corner at no more than 10mph but the car just hit the kerb sideways on. Sent me out of my seat into the window as it didn't bounce up and over. Car went into the dealers and I was £800 lighter for the repairs, plus the £250 on wheel refurb.

It may not be that bad if it seems to drive straight, but always best to get it checked - make sure it's full four wheel alignment as well.

Thanks for your help guys, as I said, car going in to North East Tyres on thursday for wheel alignment, £15 for four wheels, if they are fine it's a free check. As for the underside, I think it's cosmetic, the main components are protected well from a lot of panels and I think the heat shield should be fine. I'll get them to have a look at steering rack etc on thursday and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Danny.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Its scary stuff, glad your OK. Definitely get it all checked out as if some things cracked it may be fine for now but you dont want anything giving way at 70mph on a motorway.

I remember going along a straight bit of dual carriage about 40mph way in the TVR and one of the rear tyres hit a large puddle of water from a dent in the road and decided it wanted to go its own way, I spun 180 across the carriageway nothing I could do to catch it as the road was soaking and wide tyres just aquaplane. Obviously no electronics to help either!
Luckily I was not going fast as it was raining and so people behind had time to slow down and avoid me.