What is this...?

MrJohn91

Aug 27, 2014
www.facebook.com
Does anyone have any ideas why this has happened to the paintwork on my 14 plate cupra 280? Is it rust from the underside? No cracked paint or discolouring on the outside. Nowhere else on the car and this is above the rear drivers side wheel.
2de4d99d12668935601aac07464a9d05.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Abs

May 26, 2018
Does anyone have any ideas why this has happened to the paintwork on my 14 plate cupra 280? Is it rust from the underside? No cracked paint or discolouring on the outside. Nowhere else on the car and this is above the rear drivers side wheel.
2de4d99d12668935601aac07464a9d05.jpg

Can't see clearly but some cars suffer from orange peel like that effect to the paint could it be that or has it only recently appeared

MrJohn91

Aug 27, 2014
www.facebook.com
Can't see clearly but some cars suffer from orange peel like that effect to the paint could it be that or has it only recently appeared

I'm fairly certain it's only just appeared to be honest. I tend to have a good look when washing it and I've never picked up on it before.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@MrJohn91; Have you owned the car from new? If not, there’s always a possibility it might have had a repair or new paintwork on that panel before you bought the car and the panel wasn’t cleaned / prep’d adequately before being repainted. Could it be that it’s always been like that and you’ve only just noticed it?

Is the panel join on the left side of the picture the join between the rear bumper and the rear quarter panel? If so, then I’m pretty certain the reverse side of that part of the rear quarter panel isn’t exposed to the elements (it’s actually inside the car and you should be able to get to it by removing the interior trim in the boot). Therefore, IMO the issue you’re seeing in the circled area of paintwork in your picture is unlikely to be corrosion from the reverse side of the panel as it’s not exposed to water, road salt, road debris or other external elements that could cause corrosion.

If you know anyone with a paint thickness gauge, you could get them to measure the paint thickness on that panel and compare it to the paint thickness on the rest of the car. Any significant differences in thickness would help to confirm whether or not the area with the paint imperfection has been repaired / repainted.

MrJohn91

Aug 27, 2014
www.facebook.com
@MrJohn91; Have you owned the car from new? If not, there’s always a possibility it might have had a repair or new paintwork on that panel before you bought the car and the panel wasn’t cleaned / prep’d adequately before being repainted. Could it be that it’s always been like that and you’ve only just noticed it?

Is the panel join on the left side of the picture the join between the rear bumper and the rear quarter panel? If so, then I’m pretty certain the reverse side of that part of the rear quarter panel isn’t exposed to the elements (it’s actually inside the car and you should be able to get to it by removing the interior trim in the boot). Therefore, IMO the issue you’re seeing in the circled area of paintwork in your picture is unlikely to be corrosion from the reverse side of the panel as it’s not exposed to water, road salt, road debris or other external elements that could cause corrosion.

If you know anyone with a paint thickness gauge, you could get them to measure the paint thickness on that panel and compare it to the paint thickness on the rest of the car. Any significant differences in thickness would help to confirm whether or not the area with the paint imperfection has been repaired / repainted.

Not from new, no. i've had the car for 2 and a half years. Fairly confident that I would have noticed it in that time. I am very particular when it comes to my cleaning habits. However i guess nothing is certain.
Yes that's exactly where it is, I will take it to a bodyshop and see what they say about it.

Thanks for the replies.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Can't really see the detail but is the paint unmarked but feel like sandpaper? if so i had the same on a previous car which turned out to be a previous paint repair. The paint hadn't cured properly before laquer was appled so the paint couldn't "gas out" - the term was solvent pop - only cure was to rub down and repaint

Reactions: Mr Pig

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I've had this appear on a few area's on my motor. I was also told it appeared to be from previous repair work to the paint. It looks exactly like what you've got there.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.