What kind of diesel are you using?

wibbly

Having managed to wangle a not quite so new (60k on the clock) Cupra FR to play with thru work for a couple of months or so I'm guessing the oracles amongst the Seat 'massive' here are all in favour of using BP Ultimate Diesel are they?

Just thought I'd ask the question as to what was recomended for the FR seeing as it's a reasonably high output motor... :)

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Bog standard ASDA.
It's cheap to start with. Then I use my ASDA credit card to pay and get an extra 2p a litre off!
Last fill up was 84.9 a litre. :)
Car seems to like it too! Over 50 to the gallon. ;)

Guy.

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
Shell Diesel Extra, same price as the supermarket stuff (86.9p/l)(with a splash of Miller's!)

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I've used 'em all APART from Shell's new V-Power in my Passat 130.

None has made any measurable, repeatable difference in performance or economy that can't be explained by ambient temp, or road conditions.

Best thing I've done recently is an ECU reset -- disconnect the battery negative for 30 mins, punch in the radio code and enjoy a smoother, quicker drive :)

wibbly

Interesting to see that no one rates the BP Ultimate diesel much

I've used it in other oil burners and its definitely improved the smoothness and economy of the car....

I'll try it in the Leon and see how it goes :)

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
i ONLY ever put shell extra in mine with millers diesel sport 4. Tried one tank of BP ultimate and my car ran badly and lacked the response it usually has.
Now i can get 50mpg and 620 miles per tank. Considering its also cheaper than BP, it's good value.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Using Esso (normal diesel?) with millers sport 4, engine definately seems quieter, smoother and more mileage, used diesel from a nearby Mace garage (not sure what the fuel end of this station is called?), didnt like it at all, even with the Millers it wasnt great.

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
Ive used Ultimate for the last three years and it definitely improved the mpg and make the exhaust far cleaner .No more soot to wash off the tailgate !
OK, its dearer but I dont do that big a mileage :)

fatbloke

I found uding bp ultimate did improve the mpg and a lot less soot but the local bp garage is a pain so i use shell extra and its almost as good for a lot less

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
i have a shell card so always get diesel extra and stick a does of millers sport 4 in there, you could breathe in the exhaust its that clean

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
Disagree. If you tried a premuim diesel and reset the ecu i bet you would notice a difference. Fuel is like alot of things out there..... you get what you pay for.

possibly. but the last time i reset the ECU the car was **** for a few days. i drive my car hard, i will let it pull round to 4K and i am not exactly a delicate driver, when i reset it it just felt like it was missing a kick.
when i took it to the stealers they asked me if it was remapped as they said it most certainly went.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Local garage is a shell, but the last 3 tanks have been BP ultiwhatzit, and no noticeable difference.

Fish

Ibiza Monkey

Would use Shell V Power diesel but its like rocking horse sh#t round here. My local shell garage doesnt do it. I use BP Ultimate when I can, but again closest garage that sells it is 10 miles away. I always use Millers Diesel Sport 4.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
I use the cheapest i can find, the older 110 non PD lump aint so fussy (i tried some expensive stuff once and it made no difference at all)

i know a few tuned 130s using the cheap supermarket stuff all with no probs at all. Im sure all the expesnive stuff is just for the placebo effect, if you spend loads more then you want it to make a difference. But anyway, the difference it makes over the extra expense is never worth it to me.

Ibiza Monkey

I think mostly you pay extra for better detergents to clean the fuel system. It should also be a cleaner burning fuel to satisfy all the tree huggers, and maybe a slightly improved Cetane rating if your lucky.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members