What makes people buy ALTEA?

mocuishe

Why people buy ALTEA? Is cost its, as is not a cheap car. Is it comfort as is not comfiest car in its class. Maybe engine which is loud not refined and just average on fuel. Or maybe customer service which is kinda poor and very expensive. What is it then? Just my point of view. Bought it for 10k so i have to stick to it otherwise will loose too much.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
You're probably best placed to answer that.

Before finding the comfort wasn't up to scratch, or the engine... or a bit of a run-in with customer services, what made you buy it ? I'll bet the reasons are the same

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Its exclusivity....
An Aston Martin DB9 is more common than an Altea :)
and... it looks Stunning!!!

I dont see what everyones problem is with the car????

Mine is a 2005 model, its all i have wanted in a car...
Engine is nice, powerful and responsive, the car handles like i would of expected a Leon FR or equivelent car to handle.
Amazingly comftable seats! stylish interior etc etc!

Tonnes of room and very very quick for a Mini MPV!!

Case Closed!!!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Its exclusivity....
An Aston Martin DB9 is more common than an Altea :)
and... it looks Stunning!!!

I dont see what everyones problem is with the car????

Mine is a 2005 model, its all i have wanted in a car...
Engine is nice, powerful and responsive, the car handles like i would of expected a Leon FR or equivelent car to handle.
Amazingly comftable seats! stylish interior etc etc!

Tonnes of room and very very quick for a Mini MPV!!

Case Closed!!!

Nowt much to add there.:shrug:

mocuishe

It looks good i have to admit, probably thats why we bought it. But engine is just something that farmers use in their machines and smokes the same. Hopefully new VW engine on common rail will solve all smoking problems plus will be refined as other diesels.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
the looks, space, VeeDub mechanicals, size, safety, rarity, handling, std features, nice/neat touches, economy, insurance grp, fun to drive, it's Jekyll and Hydeness, characterful, speed, i'll go for looks again :)

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
If your engine is smoking there's something wrong with it. They don't smoke for no reason, and that goes for any manufacturer.
Or it may be due to your post "OIL LIGHT CAME UP THIS MORNING."

Last edited:

mocuishe

It might be, dont know sometimes smoke sometimes doesnt. Of course dealer said its all normal. As soon as there is something wrong its normal fo seat dealers. Will see about that will get independent opinion from different garage. I have enough of fight with these stealers.

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
How can dealers get away with saying a smoking exhaust is "normal?"
How many others do you see smoking? I'd try a different garage if I were you.

mocuishe

I have seen some dark smoke on hard acceleration in others. But mine produces white smoke small cloud on startup and always on acceleration. No matter if is cold or worm when i press hard i can see a cloud of smoke in my mirror. This starts worrying me. Car went on emission test and all turned up to be good. I was running it on supermarket stuff. Just put BP best diesel. It might be only bad diesel i put in i dont know time will show.

mocuishe

Air filter has been changed and no difference to drive characteristics and smoke. Maybe maf is gone i have also noticed engine shakes on idle and rpms slightly jumps. Any idea whats causing it?
Thanks for posts

Doddsy

Apr 11, 2007
Cost ... its cheap ... good spec.. vw based... unusual not many about.. running costs cheap

warren_cox

Back from the dead
In the right spec I think this is one of the best cars in its class. My father in law has a 1.6 stylance with bluetooth phone option and metallic paint. Brilliant little car, and if he had the extra cash to have gone for a TDi it would have been better again. I'd love to try the FR TDi version although the suspension may be a bit tough. Better than the VW by far.

Doddsy

Apr 11, 2007
what other car in its class can u get for 12k and that was diesel too .. reference sport

Belly

Basically you are buying a VW / Audi for less money. Ok the interior isn't as good, but its still not at all bad. I've got an audi A3 with the 2.0 TDI engine, which is a smasher. The fact that I could buy the 'family car' with the same powerplant for a lot less cash swung it.

The Altea is also not a bad looking beast and it doesn't have the same 'people carrier' aura that a scenic, c-max, etc has. I can drive it and not feel like its dads taxi! :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members