What Oil To Use?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If that oil is made by Tetrosyl Ltd, then it would stop the inside of the engine rusting - sorry, just a joke as I've used a lot of Tetrosyl underseal on cars in my time!

I've used Castrol Edge for a 1.4 16v VAG engine in the past, though it has to be said that Castrol have "bought" their way into the minds of VAG car owners by paying to have their brand name on the oil filler cap. I don't think VAG will be making any effort to use only Castrol at their engine plants, they will be using Fuchs ect as usual.

My current engine oil of choice is Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 - but really any mainstream oil makers product that has the very strict VW ratings relevant to your engine will be okay.

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
For me I can't afford to use either due to the amount my engines use on either, must be why both are always on offer cheap to maintain sales..

Agree it's not exactly cheap. I paid 45 quid for 5 litres I think but it'll last me 8 months to a year so worth it in my situation. But I feel you.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Switching from Castrol has saved me money, as my Tdi now hardlyr uses any oil and the petrol now doesn't use a drop..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Agree it's not exactly cheap. I paid 45 quid for 5 litres I think but it'll last me 8 months to a year so worth it in my situation. But I feel you.

I take the view that is you are planning on using "quality" engine oil, then you need to plan ahead and buy it when it is available at a good price and always on-line. High street outlets just never ever have proper prices for that, it is a bit like anything else including tyres, if you need to grab it now you will pay for that privilege.

I think that I paid around £65 for 10 litres of Mobil One ESP delivered to my door step.