What Rear Shocks for a FR184

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Hi Lads,

Ive done a search but can seem to nail what i need to know.

Rear shocks have leaked to the point the car feel like a pogo stick on the rear.

I'll be moving the car on this year so what's a budget option that keeps the ride height as it should be ?

Original part number is 5Q0512011HH

Having rung around local part suppliers, im told there are about 5 options despite giving them the part number.

Im told B4 shocks give a different ride height on the 184.

Anyone been through this and can help me out please ?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The rear damper doesn't control the ride height as the rear spring and damper are separate.
My rear RH damper has also just given up (117,000 miles 2015 build ST 184) - heavy leaking visible and heavy vibration/bouncing/wallowy handling - I have just ordered B4's, have not yet arrived though so can't comment of how they perform.

Reactions: Compo1

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Thanks for the info just reading around i was lead to believe the sag from the damper could affect ride height and not all shocks sag is the same. Struggling to understand why the the cheaper mk3 leon dampers on ebay are said not to fit given the bush and rod have the same measurement's as the stock sachs.

Mine have only done 50000 mile on a 14 plate.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks for the info just reading around i was lead to believe the sag from the damper could affect ride height and not all shocks sag is the same. Struggling to understand why the the cheaper mk3 leon dampers on ebay are said not to fit given the bush and rod have the same measurement's as the stock sachs.

Mine have only done 50000 mile on a 14 plate.
Gas dampers do exert a small expanding force - but this is tiny compared to the actual vehicle mass and so is inconsequential to ride height.

There are several damper sizes varying the rod/mounting and bush size so you need to ensure you match these physical dimensions. These can all be measured. What you can't measure if the actual damping effect - how 'stiff' they are. There are many OEM damper part numbers all with varying damper 'stiffness' and all the aftermarket versions have one or two.
I have gone with Bilstein B4's as they seem to have good reviews but when they cover both SE and sport suspension I do struggle to see how the can cover both with one damper!

Just an FYI; dampers should be changed in pairs/axle.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
I have gone with Bilstein B4's as they seem to have good reviews but when they cover both SE and sport suspension I do struggle to see how the can cover both with one damper!

Just an FYI; dampers should be changed in pairs/axle.
This is another thing when looking for rear shocks, the FR has sport suspension and you get shocks stating for sport suspension and shocks stating they are for vehicles with increased ride height so not sports suspension. So i too struggle to understand how the B4's can be said to be suitable for both. And what is the difference between sport suspension shocks and vehicles with increased ride height. The stiffness i assume ?

Apparently the 5 door hatch has no B4 option you need the b6.

Yes shocks will be both done, im a very good nuts and bolts man not much i wont tackle it the parts finding that is stressful not the jobs.

I may just bite the bullet and get the original sachs.

Moving on to a Mk3 Cupra this year so not my concern if they only last 50,000 again.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
From here:
and their catalogue:

There are some B4 dampers linked to the 5 door hatch 184.
The 19.232362 are the ones I have gone for - for my ST! - not yet received or fitted though! Found them for £50 each - delivered. If they would have been nearer 70-80 I would have just got the OEM's which I think are something around £90 each.

1678131932138.png

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
From here:
and their catalogue:

There are some B4 dampers linked to the 5 door hatch 184.
The 19.232362 are the ones I have gone for - for my ST! - not yet received or fitted though! Found them for £50 each - delivered. If they would have been nearer 70-80 I would have just got the OEM's which I think are something around £90 each.

View attachment 35894
It does seem to list them for mine.

Could i ask where you got them at £50 each ?

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
The shock has to be right for the range of motion and ride height.
The cupra is lower and whilst I'm sure the companies can and do sums to fit a shock which works on higher and lower cars without running out of travel or extension, I imagine other companies will choose the sporty ones and choose components for that differently than something I might put on my ecomotive.

Broadly speaking a stiffer spring needs more damping. Lowering springs should be stiffer so that the car doesn't ground out.
Sports suspension parts tend to be stiffer and lowering the car helps with handling and also tends to make it more appealing to the eye.
Unless you are going to the track lowering is a cosmetic exercise compared to the benefits of better suspension and wheel tyre combo.
Same with bigger brakes really...

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
My 2013 fr184 currently has 5Q0513029FF Sachs shocks.I was advised they are showing signs of corrosion(they don't look too bad to me but I have visions of them giving up the ghost on our upcoming holiday in Scotland!)so am looking to fit new( I'm going to have a go at fitting them myself as it looks reasonably straight forward on YouTube).Has anyone fitted Bilsten b6 24-229883 to their fr184 and what is the recommended OE as the original Sachs shocks fitted don't appear to be listed anywhere?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My 2013 fr184 currently has 5Q0513029FF Sachs shocks.I was advised they are showing signs of corrosion(they don't look too bad to me but I have visions of them giving up the ghost on our upcoming holiday in Scotland!)so am looking to fit new( I'm going to have a go at fitting them myself as it looks reasonably straight forward on YouTube).Has anyone fitted Bilsten b6 24-229883 to their fr184 and what is the recommended OE as the original Sachs shocks fitted don't appear to be listed anywhere?

Eurocarparts normally stock the Sachs stuff

Or Seat parts direct

Reactions: Rob McCool

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

That's the same OEM shock as my ST FR184 2015.
I used Bilstein 19.232362 as I noted above. These are B4 variants.
Personally I find these nice/sporty - maybe even a little firm on crap road surface (quite a difference to my knackered ones), so personally I wouldn't want to go any firmer with B6 for an daily/family car.

My RH damper was 'misting' but passed 2x MOT's but both were shot at 110,000miles. Not really any corrosion to note. Towards the end I noticed heavy oil leak all on my damper and suspension.

Changing is simple - 'IF' the nuts and bolts undo ok. You'll need some deep 16 and 18mm sockets to make it much easier (which I didn't have). My lower nut was a pain to get off as there is loads of thread hanging out in the breeze getting nice and corroded and I was having to use 2x spanners with only 1x ratchet click at a time - and it was very tight.

Jack up rear and support on axle stands.
Wheels off
wheel arch liners out
Crack the lower and upper nut & bolts. 1x lower nut and bolt. 3x upper bolts.
Put your jack under the hub just to take the load off it.
Remove all bolts and damper comes out.
You need to remove the top mount and bump stop of the old damper and fit to your new damper.
There is a special VAG tool for the top nut which I didn't have. Had to hold the shaft with mole grips and undo the nut. Fine on the old one as it's scrap but didn't like doing this on my new one! But I consoled myself - as the bump stop is very long and any tiny marks you make in the shaft at the very top will never ever get near the damper seal.

Reactions: Rob McCool

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
Thanks for the information.I did manage to find out the current sachs OEM part no (318 202)but as you have fitted and rate the bilstens highly I think I'll go with them.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
I also fitted the Bilstein 19.232362 B4's on @SuperV8 advice.

I can not complain at all and a decent price too, no make jobs from my local MDC were more expensive.

My first thoughts on a decent ride out was. Bloody hell, the rear end feels better than the front now :eek:

Reactions: SuperV8

biglunn

Feb 12, 2017
Had B4s fitted on my 184 about 2yrs ago - miles better control than the original Sachs which were getting knackered at just 45k miles! Agree that the rear seems more planted - there’s a concrete section of the M4 near me and my car used to get unsettled/squirm at speed over the repeating bumps, but since replacing it’s been rock solid. Ride height did go up a little.

Springs - if I could choose I’d go for the ones on Golf GTD - I just think that rides a bit better

Feb 24, 2024
Hi folks. New to this forum. I have a 2015 184 Leon looking for current part numbers as TPS up here are being awkward. They’re also charging me near £400 for a pair of shocks and springs. Not 100% sure what I’m doing with it yet so would be happy to go with decent aftermarket springs and shocks. Open to suggestions. Also been looking at the H&R shock and spring kits on auto doc. Anyone’s experiences would be appreciated.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi folks. New to this forum. I have a 2015 184 Leon looking for current part numbers as TPS up here are being awkward. They’re also charging me near £400 for a pair of shocks and springs. Not 100% sure what I’m doing with it yet so would be happy to go with decent aftermarket springs and shocks. Open to suggestions. Also been looking at the H&R shock and spring kits on auto doc. Anyone’s experiences would be appreciated.
Last time I tried TPS wouldn't sell to me - needed to be a garage.

Why are you also changing springs? Changed my rear dampers last year and my springs looked fine.

Feb 24, 2024
Tbh I was just going to have them at hand. 9 year old car as well would probably consider changing them as a preventative measure. TPS up here sell no problem for cash customers. Just won’t give out part numbers.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Tbh I was just going to have them at hand. 9 year old car as well would probably consider changing them as a preventative measure. TPS up here sell no problem for cash customers. Just won’t give out part numbers.
Same year as mine - mine were fine. As long as they are not sagging personally I wouldn't bother with rear springs - they are easy to change if needed at a later date unlike front.

Have a look here for part numbers -
https://www.catcar.info/en/
but you'll find loads of part numbers for spring and dampers all based on your PR codes.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.