What should i do?

Persevere

Sep 25, 2017
Well its been 3/4 months of ownership of my cupra mk2 tfsi, and truely love the car, however recently its been issue upon issue. My car knowledge is ok but far from undertaking big jobs on mainly suspension/breaks and exhausts is as far as i go.

So here goes the car has recently started making strange noises from the engine bay, when slowing down theres a struggling type electric/grunting type sound and occasional rattle/knock but not very often only if going downwards.

Ive taken the car to a very high rated mechanic in my area, who came out a run in the car with me ect, then called me a few hours later once he had time to look over the whole car, hes said that it looks like a previous owner has put a new engine in, and done a terrible job as if hes left a box of parts out that should be there, sensors blanked out, sensors missing, bolts here there and everywhere non existand, engine mounts missing bolts. Said he doesnt really want to touch it due to the cost to myself and fitting parts that may or may not fix the problems?

Really unsure what to do expecially only having the car a few months. The thought of getting rid of it just feels wromg as ive fell for the car, best car i have driven.

Any help or suggestions?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I love my Cupra. So I know what you mean. I'm actually trying to save money during the good times should I need a new turbo or engine rebuild as I want to keep it for at least another 5 years.

I realise you are short on posts so prob can't paste links. But uploading eg a pic of the engine bay to ingur and then eg putting a space in the link we can paste back together ourselves would help.

I think a picture of the engine (without cover if possible) and maybe a youtube video of the noises would help. Not sure how to word this, but what type of mechanic is he? Eg, my local guy who does my parents / brothers car won't touch my Cupra. But he's a great mechanic. Whereas I take mine to a "performance" garage who understand the type of car. I say this because eg, some people block off pcv, carbon canister, etc. And theres nothing wrong with that.

If its like a Cupra Mk1 I've seen where the previous owner repaired pipes with garden hose, I'd look a trading it against a decently looked after Cupra. But failing that, I can't figure how the car would have worked at all with a bunch of sensors missing.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.