What the hell just happened to my car?!? - now running on 3 Cylinders!!

chughes163

Jul 1, 2007
Oxford, UK
:help:Hi Guys:help:

Just driving onto the A34 slip road and decided to give the car a bit of welly.....and the engine warning light came on and went into limp home mode.

Thinking it was the inlet pipe for the turbo again (popped off once), i rev'd it lightly to see if it was making the 'wooshing' noise it had done in the past...and nothing!

Anyway....limped it home....and it sounds like a tractor and it struggles to get any power. I noticed boost was still there, but its running on 3 cylinders and theres a bit of a clunking noise too.

Any suggestions appreciated! Ive tried to get Seat to look at it but they cant till wednesday...useless!:doh:

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
unplug them 1 by 1 when its running if it sounds the same after unplugging one , you will have found the faulty coil

kilobrown

Leon cupra R
Apr 17, 2007
west- lothian scotland
yes definetly sounds like a coilpack..... had it happen too me a few months ago, sound like a subaru and ran like a bucket of s**t. changed coil pack and evertyhing back too normal!! ;)

chughes163

Jul 1, 2007
Oxford, UK
yes thanks a lot guys! I rang a friend who works for VW and gave him part number for the coilpack i got from seat (who couldnt get them in till tuesday!) - sorted me out a new set which were in stock with a discount :) just fitted them and its back to its old self.....i went and saw a mechanic friend today who listened to it - didnt look under the bonnet in any great detail - but said it could be anything....i.e. piston getting stuck - and could be terminal! lol scared the crap out of me!

kilobrown

Leon cupra R
Apr 17, 2007
west- lothian scotland
if u remove the plastic engine cover you will see them, theres four of them in a row. prize them out gentley one by one and swap them for a good one until the cars running smoothly..... or easier way put it on vag com and that will tell you exactly which one is at fault ;)

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
They are the square things in this pic, 4 of them, they sit down onto each spark plug.

coil.jpg

Neil.

rikwheeler

Apr 23, 2006
Lincoln
www.rikwheeler.com
Just spoke to my local Seat garage and they are refusing to replace the coilpack under warranty even though I've explained that the coilpacks are under a 5 year warranty (my car's an 03 reg). Is there anything I can do or do I have to just give in and pay their ridiculous price?

cupra@180

Contact seat hq if you do a search for the info on here they will contact the garage for you. Best of luck with your problem.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.