What to get next? FR (TDI or TFSI) ????

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
i'll upload pics and story another day, but for now. . . (i was not at fault)

I had the 2.0 fsi 147bhp which was adequate, but fancy a bit more power and should be gettin some compensation to put towards the write off money.

so would you recommend a Diesel or Petrol FR?

the diesel is faster than my old one, with much better MPG

but the petrol is MUCH faster, and . . . . well, it's not a diesel.

I know fuel costs will be much greater with the petrol but I'm willing to splash the cash on fuel

any input will be greatly appreciated as I'm looking now and could do with some experienced input.

cheers guys.

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
that WOULD be nice.

but group WHAT??? 17 or somethin?

my previous car (god rest her soul) was £1300 to insure, with a crash within 3 years and 6 points. the FR TDI will be £1891 and the TFSI £2195

but if I get plenty of compo I may splash out. . . .

what's the difference between a petrol FR TFSI and a Cupra?

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

Turbo
engine internals
Brakes
Front seats

Just to name a few

Irfan

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
hmmm interesting. . . .

just got a quote on a cupra . . . £2226 if paid all at once, £2404 if paid monthly. . . . if I get a nice sum of money for my compo then I might just **** it and go for it, pay it all at once :D

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
one thing that's always confused me . . . the AERO kit.

I first thought that all cupras had the aero kit, and FRs well, the normal agressive looking bumpers . . .

but the cupras on autotrader don't have the aero kit on them :(

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
ok, well presuming they're outside my budget, which realistically, they are,

has anyone got any input to the ORIGINAL thread title?

which FR should I consider??

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
driven neither. just had my 2.0 fsi for 3 months and I loved everything about it, so presume they're all pretty much the same, just the fuel consumption and performance that would vary?

or am I very wrong??

fl1nty360

I have the fr tdi and love it, - work mileage dictated i have a diesel, if not would have had a cupra

all depends on what you want it for, diesel should be better on fuel ecomony.....I had a civic type r before and loved the high revving engine but you had to be in the mood to get the best out of it, with the tdi there is loads of torque but it runs out of puff at 4.5k

cant comment on the petrol fr and how it compares as not driven one but imagine its a beast...

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Have a drive of both and decide then.

Not driven the FR Diesel in the Leon (but have in the Mk.4 Ibzia) and you will probably find that off the mark the petrol is quicker but on the road the TDi has the edge).

I would say the Ibzia FR was quicker than my Leon Cupra was pulling away at speed. But then again TDi's lose grunt earlier than a petrol.

The 0-60 and top speed you read in a magazine is irrlevant to day to day driving.

TDi has the DPF issues though, what sort of mileage do you do?

bozzzydmc

Personally after taking both models out on extended test runs I went for the TDI, just made more sense to me ..... some peoples perceptions on the TDi are based on older slower and noisier cars.

Oh and try #safe# overtaking up hills ... still brings a smile to my face now ;)

You could always remap it too if you felt the need to :)

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
ok, well presuming they're outside my budget, which realistically, they are,

has anyone got any input to the ORIGINAL thread title?

which FR should I consider??

You need to drive all 3 FR Diesel / Petrol and the Cupra this will enable you to make an informed decision

The purchase cost will be similar prob not a lot in it if you buy nearly new TBH so it'll boil down to running costs i.e Fuel / Insurance / Road Tax etc.

The Cupra is in my mind a very different car to the FR (que a number of people disagreeing my opinion only folks) like Irfan said there are a number of major differences mainly technical apart from the seats, and you'll either like it or loath it. The FR diesel is quick and frugal (a rare combo).

Glad you are ok and able to think of your next car though after a smash which obviously wrote off your car.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
one thing that's always confused me . . . the AERO kit.

I first thought that all cupras had the aero kit, and FRs well, the normal agressive looking bumpers . . .

but the cupras on autotrader don't have the aero kit on them :(

The Cupra does not come with the Aero kit, but you can buy the Cupra and add the Aero kit or buy a K1 which has an Aero kit but with a central exhaust and a wee K1 badge. You can also just add parts of the Aero kit like spoiler only, skirts only or skirts and spoiler combo etc.

Where are you shopping for insurance from? Those quotes seem ridiculously high.

Regarding your choice, drive them both, and to satisfy your curiosity, also drive the Cupra so you can make your own mind up.

My money would go on the Cupra if I had to choose a Leon, but the FR TFSi and FR TDi are damn good cars too.

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
The Cupra does not come with the Aero kit, but you can buy the Cupra and add the Aero kit or buy a K1 which has an Aero kit but with a central exhaust and a wee K1 badge. You can also just add parts of the Aero kit like spoiler only, skirts only or skirts and spoiler combo etc.

Where are you shopping for insurance from? Those quotes seem ridiculously high.

Regarding your choice, drive them both, and to satisfy your curiosity, also drive the Cupra so you can make your own mind up.

My money would go on the Cupra if I had to choose a Leon, but the FR TFSi and FR TDi are damn good cars too.

churchill.

they were the cheapest when i first looked for my leon.

bare in mind i'm 21 with a crash (my fault) in the last 3 years and 6 points . . .

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.