What would you like to see in our MK4 SEAT Leon FR review?

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
We're getting the car in a few weeks for a week to review. It will be a Nevada White FR 1.5 150PS.

Here's your chance to say what you'd like us to cover, take photos of, poke etc.

Fire away below.

Scott

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There’s been lots of discussion on the forum about the potential safety implications of removing most - if not all - of the conventional interior switchgear. it would be good to get an open and honest view on how intuitive and easy it is;
  • to use the main touchscreen for basic functions such as adjusting the heating controls and radio volume while driving
  • to locate and operate the different areas on the lighting control touchpad, which is located quite low down and out of the driver’s line of sight. The rear screen de-mist ’button’ is now on the lighting control touchpad, so how easy is it to locate/operate while still focusing on the road ahead while driving?
If the car is equipped with voice control, does the car react to the driver’s commands or is it a bit ‘hit and miss’? Also, are there any obvious areas of visible cost cutting in the car’s interior compared to the mk3 Leon, such as poorer quality trim, less use of soft touch materials?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
^^^^ What he said! Not really bothered by subjective stuff like the front styling or "coast-to-coast" rear lighting. You either like it or you don't. What matters is the stuff that makes the car easy to live with - or not.
BTW, in the Carwow review, they mention the availablilty of a 2litre 190PS petrol version. Is that actually correct? I don't recall seeing any mention of it in any of the official SEAT blurb.

Reactions: Syphon

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
I know that VW and Audi are offering an 'in car store' where you can enable features. I know ACC can be enabled in some markets on the Golf 8 and Audi A3. I wouldn't consider a car without ACC having had it, so it would be nice to see if the Leon can have it enabled.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
There’s been lots of discussion on the forum about the potential safety implications of removing most - if not all - of the conventional interior switchgear. it would be good to get an open and honest view on how intuitive and easy it is;
  • to use the main touchscreen for basic functions such as adjusting the heating controls and radio volume while driving
  • to locate and operate the different areas on the lighting control touchpad, which is located quite low down and out of the driver’s line of sight. The rear screen de-mist ’button’ is now on the lighting control touchpad, so how easy is it to locate/operate while still focusing on the road ahead while driving?
If the car is equipped with voice control, does the car react to the driver’s commands or is it a bit ‘hit and miss’? Also, are there any obvious areas of visible cost cutting in the car’s interior compared to the mk3 Leon, such as poorer quality trim, less use of soft touch materials?

In addition to the above - do this at night too when the cabin is dark. The cabin also looks cheap to me - the vent plastics just look low rent. I noticed this when they changed the Ibiza in 2017 - they actually downgraded the cabin quality considerably using less soft touch materials and cheaper feeling plastics.

Reactions: Rowan83 and Syphon

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
A side by side (photo) comparison to the Mark 3 would be good. I've not been a fan of the Mk4 look in the press photos. But those sent to me by a friend of one in person, it does looks better with an amateur lens.

Also the bigger issue for me is as others have said, the touch controls being moved into the display.

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Storage - cup holders, glove box, door compartments etc.
As mentioned above, how easy is it to use the touchscreen - especially when driving.
How quickly can you access the system to demist the screen whilst driving if it suddenly mists up for example.
The lack of buttons makes me think we'll be talking to the car' more, rather than finding 'buttons' to press.
MPG - real world around town, motorway (I can only compare to my wife's Arona FR 1.5 150).

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
Kangaroo test for the 1.5's! Also seconding ease-of-use tests on the infotainment/climate control - things like switching heated seats on, air re-circulation etc. Anything as easy as poking a real button in the Mk3.5 that seems to now be buried in infotainment menus!

New quality of life improvements like wireless CarPlay and anything new in the digital cockpit would be cool to see in action as well :)

Reactions: Rooster and Syphon

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
First impressions are good. The car looks nice in the flesh, interior is good, seats very comfy. Screen is ok, will do a full video covering all the controls etc. It is a bit fiddly yes, but once familiar (I've not had full time to go through everything) I don't think will be the end of the world climate control wise, it does have dedicated touch areas for those not requiring going through the menus.

Engine is nice and pokey, not noticed any hesitation yet.

Reactions: williamxb

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
Engine Engine Engine that’s all I want to know, I have an early 68 Fr 1.5 130 with roo issues, is it sorted ?
how does it be have at junctions and roundabouts when rolling and flooring it in 6th at approximately 70mph that’s when mine is rubbish....

Reactions: Rooster and Syphon

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
IMG_20200724_160555.jpg

Reactions: williamxb

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
Very boring wheels for an FR... however first edition wheels do look great on it from what I’ve seen.

Interesting question for you - is the fog light unit the same as the Mk3.5? Doesn’t seem to match the rest of the bumper, and it looks strangely familiar...

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
Very boring wheels for an FR... however first edition wheels do look great on it from what I’ve seen.

Interesting question for you - is the fog light unit the same as the Mk3.5? Doesn’t seem to match the rest of the bumper, and it looks strangely familiar...
B9EB060D-79B5-4BEB-8BD4-351CEA16B13A.jpeg

I reckon the wheels are very similar to the original mk3 5 spokes like these ....

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

The alloys on the FR First Edition might look OK but being diamond cut, the chances are they’ll be showing signs of white worm corrosion when they get to 2-3 years old - especially if they’re on a car in the UK that’s used as a daily driver during the winter months and subjected to road salt and spray.

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
They still look very SE, rather than FR. Seat has great looking silver wheels, so why put those horrible van alloys on a decent spec??

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, as well as all the previously mentioned comments regarding the touchscreen and engine, I would be interested in the ride quality etc, I recently tried a Focus ST Line X and it’s in another league, even better than the wife’s Golf.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hi, as well as all the previously mentioned comments regarding the touchscreen and engine, I would be interested in the ride quality etc, I recently tried a Focus ST Line X and it’s in another league, even better than the wife’s Golf.
It really pains me to say it but i really like the look of the Focus ST line. Unsure if i could do it to myself though and own a Ford.

Reactions: Rooster
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.