Whats the Mileage on your TDI

Apr 12, 2010
Mines done 56k. 31 of that with me, had a turbo in that time and has only just stopped using oil lol

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Just saw this thread whilst looking for instructions on how to replace a water pump. My '02 plate 1.9 TDI Leon has just clocked 196,000 - all done by me. Quite proud of that.
The poor old thing is suffering now though - leaking coolant, intermittent heat through blower, low power from start up until 3000 rpm (sticking turbo veins ??). Still I guess it doesn't owe me anything !!

Also, checked the fuel consumption over the last few weeks and am consistently getting 57mpg even with all these problems !!

Is it a 110BHP Non-PD or 130/150 PD ? would be interesting to compare 8V Non-PD vs 8V PD vs 16V PD vs 16V CR as to which is longer lasting.

Paul

guygreenwood

196,000 excellent........Anything major you've had to replace (on the Engine/Gearbox I mean). Is it original Turbo ?.......if it is Sticking vains after 196K is not bad !

Paul

Nothing major. Quite a few minor things though - 2 air con compressors, power steering hose burst.
Still original engine and turbo from new and I've done all my own servicing since about 60,000 miles apart from cam belt changes.

guygreenwood

Is it a 110BHP Non-PD or 130/150 PD ? would be interesting to compare 8V Non-PD vs 8V PD vs 16V PD vs 16V CR as to which is longer lasting.

Paul

110BHP.

It was a UK spec import when I got it new - so it is an SE model.

Last edited by a moderator:

guygreenwood

This thread has prompted me to contact Seat about my "record" mileage. I'll update with any response I get from them.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
This thread has prompted me to contact Seat about my "record" mileage. I'll update with any response I get from them.

Thats a good idea, especially as you've not had any major breakdowns (none at all related to the Engine/Turbo/Gearbox it sounds). Mind you it might show DIY servicing is better than Seats Dealers !!!! I have a 110bhp SE but I've only done 116,000 the only problem I have had is A/C Compressor like you and Alternator. No problems other than the very odd Limp Mode due to +ve Pressure Deviation.

I have been having since the cold snap alot of white smoke on first start up ...I put that down to moisture building up in the induction system overnight (I hope !) also although it starts quick and without effort...it "chucks" for a few seconds and bounces down to 800RPM and back up again....but as I say after a few seconds of it doing that it's fine (I just worry about the neighbours and the white smoke !)

Paul

guygreenwood

I've given up worrying about the neighbours with mine. I am regularly revving it up to 3000rpm to unstick the turbo at 6.30am !!

The only other problem I've noticed is the driver's seat losing its support on the left hand edge. Tempted to swap the driver and passenger seat around but not sure if that would work with the airbags and controls etc.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I've given up worrying about the neighbours with mine. I am regularly revving it up to 3000rpm to unstick the turbo at 6.30am !!

The only other problem I've noticed is the driver's seat losing its support on the left hand edge. Tempted to swap the driver and passenger seat around but not sure if that would work with the airbags and controls etc.

Does revving it to 3000 RPM standing still help to unstick the Vanes then ? If it does maybe I'll try that rather than what I do 3rd gear up long hill with 60/70mph speed limit and taking it to sort of 3800RPM and leave it there as long as possible.
Do you do the 3000RPM while the Engine & Oil is still cold ?

Paul

Dilligaf

Owned a Pissrat 130 pd with Superchips remap from 100k to 140k not a single issue! Was very impressed with them.

Now have Leon FR 150 pd with custom map, bought at 72k and just hit 100k. First map from Custom Code spannered my clutch and boost pipe within 1 mile! The metal pancake pipe sheared clean through. Then the turbo only a few hundred later! Stay clear of them! New turbo and clutch and custom map and its frikkin awesome, pulls right through to redline with no wheezing.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Does revving it to 3000 RPM standing still help to unstick the Vanes then ? If it does maybe I'll try that rather than what I do 3rd gear up long hill with 60/70mph speed limit and taking it to sort of 3800RPM and leave it there as long as possible.

Paul

No engine warm always warm and give ur car hell in 2nd an 3rd gear for about twenty mins keeping the revs as high as possible I did this with mine and it unblocked everything grate and has been working grate since

guygreenwood

Paul

No sorry - I should have been clearer - my current problem is lack of boost on startup - I have to welly it past 3000rpm to get the turbo to kick in. Not too much of a problem and yes it is when the engine is cold :-(
As soon as it hits 2700rpm then the boost kicks in and all is well after that.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
No sorry - I should have been clearer - my current problem is lack of boost on startup - I have to welly it past 3000rpm to get the turbo to kick in. Not too much of a problem and yes it is when the engine is cold :-(
As soon as it hits 2700rpm then the boost kicks in and all is well after that.

Then you should take that car back from whence it came...:blink:

When cold you should stay off boost for the first 15 mins to let the oil come up to temperature/pressure, as you won't get much boost from the cold turbo (as you've already found) and will end up doing damage to the turbine blades.

guygreenwood

I've finally reached 200K

Did it today on the way back from Oxford. Managed to take a quick pic as it clicked over - not the best pic but you get the idea :):):)

160r9sl.jpg

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Did it today on the way back from Oxford. Managed to take a quick pic as it clicked over - not the best pic but you get the idea :):):)

160r9sl.jpg

Thats brilliant, What vehicle is this on ? What problems, if any did you have on the way to 200,000 ? (Engine/ Turbo/Gearbox etc I mean)

Paul

guygreenwood

None really although as discussed above it is showing its age now - lacking in power, turbo sticking etc but no major work needed during the 11 years since I got it new, just tyres, a couple of air con pumps, brakes etc.

Still happily gets me 50 miles each way to work every day.

Seat Leon Mk1 1.9 TDI 110 BHP - UK spec Euro import.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members