What's this DSG thing all about then??

aircanman

Hey there all. I am interested in an Altea XL with 1.9TDi and this DSG Auto box, what is it all about??

Does it have a straight forward auto mode? Or is it a triptronic sort of thing?

Any help appreciated.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
The DSG box is a special box which has 2 clutches in it, one of which is specifically for 'odd' gears ie 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th, and the other clutch is for the 'even' gears, 2nd, 4th and 6th.

Basically this makes the gear changes very smooth and quick, as the next clutch is already primed and ready to engage as soon as the previous gear is disengaged.

The box can be just a standard auto box or can be used in tiptronic mode.

aircanman

The DSG box is a special box which has 2 clutches in it, one of which is specifically for 'odd' gears ie 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th, and the other clutch is for the 'even' gears, 2nd, 4th and 6th.

Basically this makes the gear changes very smooth and quick, as the next clutch is already primed and ready to engage as soon as the previous gear is disengaged.

The box can be just a standard auto box or can be used in tiptronic mode.

Superb, thanks for that. The car I am looking at is about 60 miles away so I am almost buying blind lol, I want it I want it. Hope the fuel economy wont be too much different to my 1.9 Tdi Altea !

Greyrider

I specifically got the DSG box because I do a lot of driving in the Highlands of Scotland. Having driven there with a conventional autobox I found that during steep descents the car would runaway as the box changed up. Even holding the box in Low, or 2 ended up with a screaming engine and loads of braking. After particularly long descents brake fade was apparent and it was generally noisy and tiresome. Since having the DSG box a quick flick of the lever and engine braking is far more controlled through 6 gears than the 3 on my previous regular auto. DSG...best of both worlds.....more control.....quicker shifts...and sports mode seals the deal for me.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
What milage is car? If more than 40k make sure the DSG oil has been changed. Not cheap at a dealer. DIY able but you need certain things/tools
Its actually 2 mini gearboxes - even numers in one box odd in the other, so the next gear is preselected for smooth and instant change. Its not perfect, quite easy to catch it out especially on a rolling idle. But the acceleration is brilliant and it makes best use of diesel characteristics. Smooth

SEAT-MAD

first time user long time
Mar 10, 2011
Essex
I have not long got a 2.0 TDI sport DSG Altea
A real joy to drive, the motorways are great plenty of tourqe when you need it.
And around town and in traffic easy smooth gear changes.
Then in Sport mode wow it goes ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.