Wheel bolt sheared?

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
Anyone ever had this happen? Half the bolt is stuck in the hub :doh:
Whats the best way to get it out without damaging the threads?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
anything you can grab onto with mole grips?

otherwise a 'reverse tap' is what I've used

Drill a pilot hole into the stud, then wind the tap in - until it jams - then it will unscrew the stud

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
Nothing at all, i can grab onto the bolt on the other side of the hub tho. Would i be able to take it out the backside of the hub then?

Is sheared bolts a common occunce?

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
How did you shear the bolt?? I think they way M0rk describes is the best. Shearing of a bolt is very uncommon. It is usually caused by hydrogen embrittlement of the metal. I.e. Hydrogen gets trapped in the metal during plating causing it to be weaker at that point. Normally spoken this is counteracted by extra processing after the plating.

Are you running original bolts or aftermarket ones? If original take it back to the dealer and demand a new one and get them to send it to Seat UK. If one goes then usually a batch is affected.

Not a good thing[:@]

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
regular if your name is Saul

http://webserver.diygear.com/acatalog/DiyGear_com_Stud_Extractors_270.html

1435-5.jpg

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
How did you shear the bolt?? I think they way M0rk describes is the best. Shearing of a bolt is very uncommon. It is usually caused by hydrogen embrittlement of the metal. I.e. Hydrogen gets trapped in the metal during plating causing it to be weaker at that point. Normally spoken this is counteracted by extra processing after the plating.

Are you running original bolts or aftermarket ones? If original take it back to the dealer and demand a new one and get them to send it to Seat UK. If one goes then usually a batch is affected.

Not a good thing[:@]

I'm doing a brake upgrade to ibiza cupra spec. So full upright/calipers/hubs etc. Never seen the car when i bought them. So iam bit worried the cars been in an accident. :confused:

No obvious damage i can see apart from the splash sheild which is bent a bit.

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Iv had a few problems like this, neighbour always comes to the rescue with a small metal chisel type tool. Get the old hammer out and wind the thread back out by taping it round with the chisel tool, when theres enough thread showing get the mole grips on it ;)

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
Car being in a crash won't cause that problem. Best is to get 5 bnew bolts from the stealers to be sure. Ususally the bolts are supplied from 4 different containers to the wheelgun in the factory. So there is a chance the other 4 remaining bolts could be from the same batch.

As i said i seldom to hear about one break, and we coat all the wheelbolts for BMW cars.!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.