Wheels - will these fit? >>

R53Winny

Apr 11, 2022
Will the following Alloys fit without any issues, needing spacers or different wheel bolts?

DIAMETER
18 Inch
ET OFFSET
PCD
5×112
WIDTH
8J
Tyre size = 235 40 18 RW

Thanks 👍

Currently running 17s 51ET 7.5J 5x112 rubber 225 45 17

A wheel calculator gave the following readings, so wonder whether they will fit without need spacers, new bolts or getting wheel rub?

Wheel Fitment Guide
Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 3.7mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 16.4mm more than before.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They should fit fine.

225/40/18 would be a better fit tyre wise but other than that looks okay

I had an ET45 8J with 225/40/18 tyre so you are only 4mm further out than that. So my personal feeling is they will fit fine

Reactions: R53Winny

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If your new alloys are from a reputable alloy wheel seller such as Rimstyle, Wheelbase Alloys etc., then they should provide a fitting kit which will include all that you need (bolts of the correct type / size and spigot rings if required) to mount the new alloys on your car.

If they’re aftermarket alloys (with an offset of ET41, they probably are aftermarket rather than OEM), then most aftermarket alloys use bolts with a tapered seat (bolts for OEM alloys usually have a radius seat). It’s really important that the correct type of bolts are used to ensure maximum contact and a snug / tight fit between the mating surface of the bolt seat and the bolt hole of the wheel.

If your car has a space saver spare, if you do need new bolts for your new alloys, be sure to keep a set of your existing wheel bolts in your car to use with the spare wheel.

Bear in mind that aftermarket alloys are also likely to have a centre bore that‘s larger than the 57.1 centre bore size of Seat OEM alloys. Therefore, you’ll need a set of spigot rings of the appropriate size to reduce the centre bore size of your new aftermarket alloys to 57.1 to make it easier to mount the alloys and ensure they’re correctly aligned on your car‘s hub assemblies. Spigot rings should also help eliminate the risk of vibrations and imbalance.

I wouldn’t have thought that an extra 16.4 mm of poke would cause any tyre rubbing issues. However, you can do a visual check by measuring out 16.4 mm from the face of your current wheel / tyre to see if there’s any risk of the tyre fouling the bodywork (assume your car is standard ride height and hasn’t been lowered). Also, it’s important that the overall rolling radius of any new wheel / tyre set up is the same as (or as close as possible to) your existing wheels / tyres - if not you’ll experience speedo reading errors. If the wheel calculator you’ve used doesn’t give this information (i.e. existing and new rolling radius), then the one on www.willtheyfit.com will.

Lastly, fitting new wheels is a modification for insurance purposes, so be sure to inform your insurance company.

R53Winny

Apr 11, 2022
Thanks for all the really useful advice guys. I was contemplating a set of VW Lisbon alloys from a Scirocco but not going for them now. Waiting for a set from a Seat Leon black edition now

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If you did decide to go for VW OEM alloys such as the Lisbon’s, then they should bolt straight onto your Leon without needing new bolts or spigot rings.

As @BigJase88 has said, the usual / factory tyre size that Seat fitted on 18” alloys for the mk3 Leon is 225/40 R18.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.