When is the VIN number generated?

shayaanl1

Apr 8, 2022
I ordered a Formentor 1.5 in April 2nd of this year. I was told it would take about 5 months to be delivered. I followed up with the dealership in September and told me that the car is still in the production line. He gave me the VIN number which has N as the year code, meaning 2022.

It's likely at this point the car won't be delivered till 2023. I'm wondering if I should expect a 2023 model or a 2022 model? Would the VIN number have been generated when the order was placed? When the car began production? Just seems odd to have a 2022 model delivered in 2023 when people are already receiving 2023 models.

Last edited:
Reactions: themanis00

themanis00

Aug 21, 2022
I ordered a Formentor 1.5 in April 2nd of this year. I was told it would take about 5 months to be delivered. I followed up with the dealership in September and told me that the car is still in the production line. He gave me the VIN number which has N as the year code, meaning 2022.

It's likely at this point the car won't be delivered till 2023. I'm wondering if I should expect a 2023 model or a 2022 model? Would the VIN number have been generated when the order was placed? When the car began production? Just seems odd to have a 2022 model delivered in 2023 when people are already receiving 2023 models.
I have a similar situation to yours, ordered 14th of April also 1.5, was told in September that the BW was 40, so end of september and was supposed to start delivery the 5th of october, however instead since then the car status is still "in production" and according to my dealer it is beacuse of a shortage of headlamps, although it is not confirmed, I don't have the VIN number but it is generated during production, so it will likely be 2022 model even if you receive it in 2023

Reactions: shayaanl1

shayaanl1

Apr 8, 2022
I have a similar situation to yours, ordered 14th of April also 1.5, was told in September that the BW was 40, so end of september and was supposed to start delivery the 5th of october, however instead since then the car status is still "in production" and according to my dealer it is beacuse of a shortage of headlamps, although it is not confirmed, I don't have the VIN number but it is generated during production, so it will likely be 2022 model even if you receive it in 2023
Happy to hear someone is in the same boat. Became a bit worried when people were posting about receiving their 1.5's 3-5 months after placing the order. I suppose it really does vary quite greatly by country. Here in Cyprus the dealer is not giving me a reason for the delay, just keeps saying it's still in the production line every time I ask for an update.

A bit of a shame from a depreciation point of view to be receiving a 2022 model in 2023 though.

themanis00

Aug 21, 2022
Happy to hear someone is in the same boat. Became a bit worried when people were posting about receiving their 1.5's 3-5 months after placing the order. I suppose it really does vary quite greatly by country. Here in Cyprus the dealer is not giving me a reason for the delay, just keeps saying it's still in the production line every time I ask for an update.

A bit of a shame from a depreciation point of view to be receiving a 2022 model in 2023 though.
Yeah I also believe it depends a lot from the country, the "short" awaiting time seems to be mostly in the UK, I am from Poland, it may also depend on the factory in which the car is produced, from what I know mine is produced in Martorell, basically Barcelona, it wouldn't surprise me if they are the "slowest" ones.

And I also agree it's a shame, as the car loses value this way.

shayaanl1

Apr 8, 2022
Yeah I also believe it depends a lot from the country, the "short" awaiting time seems to be mostly in the UK, I am from Poland, it may also depend on the factory in which the car is produced, from what I know mine is produced in Martorell, basically Barcelona, it wouldn't surprise me if they are the "slowest" ones.

Yeah, it seems like the UK and Germany have shorter waiting times. Not sure how they determine which country's orders to build first.

themanis00

Aug 21, 2022
From what I know Cupra/Seat have 3 factories - in Spain, Germany and in Czech Republic. My theory is that most countries orders go to the Spain one and it has longer awaiting times. But that’s just a theory.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

It could be that your car’s left the production line but may currently be what’s termed an incomplete build (i.e. some of the car’s components may be missing) hence your dealer saying your car is still in production.

With ongoing semiconductor supply issues Cupra, along with some car manufacturers have been building cars minus some of the semiconductor-dependent components. These partially built cars are them moved to storage facilities pending delivery of the missing components by their manufacturers / suppliers to Cupra, and when they’re received, the part-built cars are then finished.

For your car I don’t know what the model year differences are between a 2022 and 2023 model, but if they’re not significant (model year changes are usually minor), I doubt there’d be much of a depreciation impact.

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
From what I know Cupra/Seat have 3 factories - in Spain, Germany and in Czech Republic. My theory is that most countries orders go to the Spain one and it has longer awaiting times. But that’s just a theory.
My Formentor was built in Spain and took just 11 weeks. Crazy!

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
11 weeks from the time you ordered it to delivery?
Yes. We were told 12 weeks but as we ordered the power tailgate that would double the lead time. As it transpired neither estimate was right!
Technically it was 12 weeks until we drove it away as the dealer took a week to get the car prepped but it was with them at 11 weeks.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Yes. We were told 12 weeks but as we ordered the power tailgate that would double the lead time. As it transpired neither estimate was right!
Technically it was 12 weeks until we drove it away as the dealer took a week to get the car prepped but it was with them at 11 weeks.
That was the old timescale before all this current shortage of chips. you done well.

shayaanl1

Apr 8, 2022
How long ago did you receive it?

shayaanl1

Apr 8, 2022

Seems like my Formentor is finally showing up on Cupra Connect as of yesterday, which means it must finally be out of the production line!

shayaanl1

Apr 8, 2022
Did you get the car yet? According to the dealer, mine left the production line at the end of November but it hasn't made it to me just yet. Coming close to a 10 month wait for a 1.5:(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members