When to replace brake pads / discs, on average?

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
I'm at 119k km now in exactly 2 years (74k miles). Haven't had to have any parts replaced yet, as I use engine braking whenever possible... to the great annoyance of those behind me who like to drive 60 mph up to a roundabout and then hit the brakes just 100 meters before they crash into it....

Just wondering what distances others have managed so far before needing to replace these parts?

Also because I'm wondering when I will need to replace them as I want to get a grip on the cost for the next service, since with that added it will probably be +500 GBP... :whistle:

james berkeley

Aug 8, 2014
I sympathise with those people behind you. There is a perfectly good compromise that involves braking as well - I'm sure they're not all "last minute brakers" behind you, most will be perfectly good drivers and I don't think your attitude to them is very considerate.

Just saying.

Reactions: Oddmanout

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
Managing appropriate speed for the situation and conditions doesn't always require a heavy right foot on the stop pedal.

Just saying.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I'm at 119k km now in exactly 2 years (74k miles). Haven't had to have any parts replaced yet, as I use engine braking whenever possible... to the great annoyance of those behind me who like to drive 60 mph up to a roundabout and then hit the brakes just 100 meters before they crash into it....

Just wondering what distances others have managed so far before needing to replace these parts?

Also because I'm wondering when I will need to replace them as I want to get a grip on the cost for the next service, since with that added it will probably be +500 GBP... :whistle:

Whatever they cost will be a lot less than a gearbox/flywheel repair, use your brakes.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK
I've been musing on this for much of the afternoon (sad I know) since I read Daniel's post earlier. I too feel he's being selfish & inconsiderate to other drivers, no matter how they drive. Driving schools educate pupils to use the brakes rather than gearboxes as brake pads are cheaper than clutches & gearboxes.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Guy's you might be jumping the gun here and assuming he's trolling people behind him. He hasn't exactly said he crawls up to junctions miles in advance.

Anyone care to answer his original question?

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Guy's you might be jumping the gun here and assuming he's trolling people behind him. He hasn't exactly said he crawls up to junctions miles in advance.

Anyone care to answer his original question?

Indeed.

Also I recently did this little online refreshment test with some questions. One of them was "what do you do first when approaching a roundabout?"
Options were 1) brake, 2) move to a lower gear, and I don't remember the others. I actually chose option 1 - brake. Guess what? Wrong answer. The correct answer was "You shouldn't be using your brakes at all when approaching a roundabout. Instead, you should coast and lower gears."

That was quite funny actually.

I'm still doing 50 mph (the limit here) up to 300 meters before the roundabout, then switch from 4th to 3rd at 200m and, at 100 meters from 3rd to 2nd.

Here however common practice is to do 50 mph up to perhaps 80 meters before the roundabout and then hit the brakes with all your might and just come to a forceful stop right on the spot. Every day I fear one of those idiots will ram me some day (keeping in mind I'm driving a UK car in the Netherlands, so they'll plow straight into me).

It will be a relief to be in the UK again in a couple of weeks - driving here is one of the worst experiences ever. The level of agression and frustration people show on the roads here is shocking.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
82k miles here and on original discs and pads. Front pads still have a fair bit left on them and the discs are starting to 'lip' a little, I'll probably change discs and pads at the same time. Rears have loads left on them.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
Im only at 18k miles and just had a service, they advise brake pads were at 50%, so assuming some of you are at well double that and still with brake pads... must make me one of these last min made brakers!

On a serious note i just think this is a generation gap, my parents where taught to use gears to slow down and i was taught to use brakes, mainly because of the cost difference in replacing, but also brakes warn people behind you that you are stopping, gears dont!
In all honestly im a coast then brake type of guy.

loonymoon

My Ibiza just had a service at 60k miles and had its first new set of brake pads...... I just don't ever stop lol!! I was well impressed with that! I don't consciously use engine braking, but do do a fair amount of motorway miles where I don't touch the brakes.

Last edited:

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013

On a serious note i just think this is a generation gap, my parents where taught to use gears to slow down and i was taught to use brakes, mainly because of the cost difference in replacing, but also brakes warn people behind you that you are stopping, gears dont!
In all honestly im a coast then brake type of guy.

I'm not that old! Cheeky whippersnapper!

My daily commute is 60 miles each way and there are only two junctions before I'm on a dual carriageway and three roundabouts after it, so providing the 'I'm a muppet and I drive so feckin close to the car in front I force everyone to brake brigade' aren't out in force I only have to brake a handful of times over 120 miles.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Gears for go and brakes for slow was the mantra I was taught, ease of the gas and brake gently, changing down as the revs demand, only a far as 3rd so you can either stop if required or accelerate if the road ahead is clear. As for pads/discs, well change them when worn to the limit, there is no mileage set to do this, auto cars will need brakes earlier as a rule as will carts that tow a trailer/caravan.
Why change parts with 10% life left in them? wait till 1%, depending on the miles you do it could be a long time.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I always get surprised when mine goes in for service, I have the 150BHP TDI FR with DSG and a DTUK box fitted and always set on 3+3 and I drive with a heavy right root (When safe to do) and my last service (At 30,000 miles) my fronts still had 70% on them and the backs had 80%!

I was expecting to need new pads on my first service! I have got through 2 sets of 4 tyres since the car was delivered too me yet I still have loads left on the pads.....

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I always get surprised when mine goes in for service, I have the 150BHP TDI FR with DSG and a DTUK box fitted and always set on 3+3 and I drive with a heavy right root (When safe to do) and my last service (At 30,000 miles) my fronts still had 70% on them and the backs had 80%!

I was expecting to need new pads on my first service! I have got through 2 sets of 4 tyres since the car was delivered too me yet I still have loads left on the pads.....

That sound's to me like you're doing alot more heavy accelerating than heavy Braking :')

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
I'm not that old! Cheeky whippersnapper!

Ha depends whose perspective you ask for age!

What are most of you guys on as there is a difference in brakes between 1.8tsi and the rest? Also slightly heavier car and difference in 3/5 door i guess?

Have to say on a sidenote , i love the the brakes in the 1.8 tsi bar far better than anything ive had in previous cars, probably saved me a few times!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I'm with the OP as well. IMO there's nothing wrong in using the gears to slow down before applying the brakes as well, i can't see that it would be causing any extra wear on gearbox components either.
If you are in gear and off of the throttle(overrun), then all fuel is cut to the injectors. If you go into neutral and use the brakes then you are still using fuel to let the engine tick over at 800rpm.
Using the gears to slow yourself will increase your mpg and save you money on brake pads, as long as it's done gently then i can't see the problem.

As said above the real issue is twats who drive too close even when you're doing 10-20mph above the speed limit. Had some idiot driving so close to me the other day, that i couldn't even see his headlights in my rearview mirror.... He decided to keep his distance after i got out at the traffic lights and screamed at his to "keep the f*ck back from my car".... If i'd had to brake then he would of slammed stright into me before he'd even got his foot to the brake pedal.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise