Which fuse to connect a dash cam?

Norman E

Apr 3, 2022
I am trying to put in a hardwire kit for a dashcam The manual is worse than useless as it has no diagram of the fuse box, and all the online diagrams are for lrft hand drive cars with a quite different arrangement. My fuse box is like the one shown here https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/dash-cam-hardwire-facelift-leon.462887/
I don't want to piiyback onto anything vital for safety or the running of the car like engine management or ABS. Does anyone have a diagram for this fusebox on the right side of the dash?

Norman E

Apr 3, 2022
I am trying to put in a hardwire kit for a dashcam The manual is worse than useless as it has no diagram of the fuse box, and all the online diagrams are for lrft hand drive cars with a quite different arrangement. My fuse box is like the one shown here https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/dash-cam-hardwire-facelift-leon.462887/
I don't want to piiyback onto anything vital for safety or the running of the car like engine management or ABS. Does anyone have a diagram for this fusebox on the right side of the dash?
I tried piggy backing as shown, but this proved to be a permanent live when I want ignition only power.

Attachments

• tn_20220409_173359.jpg
    tn_20220409_173359.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,024

Norman E

Apr 3, 2022
I was hoping to avoid the going multimeter route to avoid connecting to anything vital, It just seems odd that all the fuse box diagrams I can find are for left hand drive cars. there is not even a label in the cover to show the fuse numbers.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I was hoping to avoid the going multimeter route to avoid connecting to anything vital, It just seems odd that all the fuse box diagrams I can find are for left hand drive cars. there is not even a label in the cover to show the fuse numbers.
I don't know what your problem is with a Multimeter, if used correctly it CANNOT do any harm, but if you have not got the confidence to do a job like that then you need to take it to a auto electrician (who will charge you a lot of dosh) for the sake of finding the correct fuse.
and as for finding a fuse lay out it just a google search, as you have not said the exact year you will have to scroll through
the list !

Norman E

Apr 3, 2022
I have no problem working safely with a multimeter and have in fact now found and used a vacant fuse slot that is ignition only. The diagrams in the link above are all wrong for my car. If you scroll nearly to the bottom there is a diagram for 2009-2012 cars, but the instrument panel diagram may be OK for left hand drive cars with a fuse box on the left, but bears little relation to the fuse box at the right hand end of the dash on my car. It would have helped a lot if SEAT had printed a fuse diagram and stuck it inside the plastic panel that you have to prize off to get at the fuses. As it stands I have no idea what any of the fuses in there are for, so if something were to fail I would just have to pull fuses one by one until I found the one that had failed.

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Glad you got it sorted mate I know myself how frustrating it is to actually get a fuse box diagram for the mk2 I couldn’t find out out there myself either.
Maybe you can post on here the location of the fuse you used so it might help someone else in the future with the same car.

Norman E

Apr 3, 2022
I did not take a photo but of it, but if you look at the photo above you will see a row of full size fuses. The whole row appear to be powered with the ignition on but not otherwise. I used the vacant slot next to the 30A fuse at the left of the row.

Reactions: bukkake_face
Sep 6, 2021
I have a Leon e-Hybrid mk 4 and I can't even find the fuse box! The manual shows it behind a flap to the right below the steering wheel but when I remove this panel there is ... an empty space!
Can anyone help me find the 'in car' fuses?

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I have a Leon e-Hybrid mk 4 and I can't even find the fuse box! The manual shows it behind a flap to the right below the steering wheel but when I remove this panel there is ... an empty space!
Can anyone help me find the 'in car' fuses?
Daft question, but is the illustration in the manula for a RHD car? If not, the fuse box may be on the passenger side of a UK market car.

Sep 6, 2021
Daft question, but is the illustration in the manula for a RHD car? If not, the fuse box may be on the passenger side of a UK market car.
You're right, it is a picture of a left hand drive car but it's on the side where the steering wheel is. On the other side is the glovebox and nothing else as far as I can see - unless it's somehow in the rectangular area that intrudes into the top of the glovebox? That has no obvious opening and I didn't want to risk breaking anything by forcing my way in.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Then it'll be behind the glovebox on your (RHD) car I expect - I'm sure others will be able to advise how to get in there.

Sep 6, 2021
Why not connect the dash cam to the interior light?
Nice idea, thanks for the suggestion. However on my car the interior lights are some type of bright LED which fade up and down, so I don't think this varying current would be a good supply for a dashcam.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Nice idea, thanks for the suggestion. However on my car the interior lights are some type of bright LED which fade up and down, so I don't think this varying current would be a good supply for a dashcam.
I understand, mine do the same. There is still a positive supply. Likewise to your vanity mirrors

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.