which vag com to buy, vag tacho and can it check true mileage???

shaneseat

Apr 21, 2009
hi guys i have a few questions for the experts. in my family we have a range of passat, beetle, audi, seat toledo, and golf, and i was going to get vagcom to save us a few quid.

which is the right one to go for??i was thinking this??

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCHUC&Category_Code=VAGCOM

also can vag com check true mileage of any of the above cars, ive been to see 3in last week and through various checks have found all 3to be clocked, with one being wiped off 70k miles!!!!

and thirdly, what is vag tacho, is that the one for making up spare keys etc?? and where do you get it? i see some links but id rather get a genuine version, but everyone is selling different versions??

so 3 questions:

which vacom to go for?

does vagcom read ecu to tell true mileage?

where do i get vagtacho?

many thanks

shane

Wowzers! 70k mi wiped off!

Quickest way is to plug the last MOT certificate number into the VOSA website (I did it on my mobile phone even!) and it gives you the milage recorded and all advisory/fail notices for the car in question.

Unless the car has been taken to a dodgy garage for it's whole life I find that quite a good way to check!

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Wowzers! 70k mi wiped off!

Quickest way is to plug the last MOT certificate number into the VOSA website (I did it on my mobile phone even!) and it gives you the milage recorded and all advisory/fail notices for the car in question.

Unless the car has been taken to a dodgy garage for it's whole life I find that quite a good way to check!

I done 100k before my first MOT, and had plenty of people telling me to knock it back to 50k for trading it in. I was planning to keep it so the mileage wasn;t an issue, but its always possible to have been done before its ever been MOT'd

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
No you can't tell if its been clocked using the ECU because the only way to change the mileage is to change the actual ECU value that stores it. Unfortunately it is relatively easy to do :(

best way like mentioned above is to check the MOT history but even that can be dodgy sometimes depending on whose owned the car...

shaneseat

Apr 21, 2009
unfortunately in ni, mot doesnt work like that you cant just phone up and ask for that data :(

definitely cant tell true mileage by vag com or tacho??

what sort of functions can tacho do? im a closet geek and love having these sort of gadgets around! :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise