whining/grinding noise????

Dec 25, 2009
I tried to change oil in mine using Redline MTL 90 iirc, still had the same issue so had the box rebuilt by ALLGEARS in Worksop - As for the price you will have to give them a call to explain issue and they will advise you on the phone. Be alot cheaper than a new gearbox though.

Dec 25, 2009
Mine wasnt slipping, just changed for peace of mind and had the box rebuilt at the same time as was getting fed up of the whining noise etc redid the cambelt etc while i was there too. Mileage on mine is 67k

Last edited:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Mine wasnt slipping, just changed for peace of mind and had the box rebuilt at the same time as was getting fed up of the whining noise etc redid the cambelt etc while i was there too. Mileage on mine is 67k

Same mileage as mine mate. If mine ever needs doing ill do LSD and clutch at same time [B)]

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
My fr 180 has been whining at 30-40mph in 3rd and 4th since I bought it for over a year and a half and 20k got no worse but I changed the oil as a precautionry measure! It's annoying but I have got used to it lol

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
My fr 180 has been whining at 30-40mph in 3rd and 4th since I bought it for over a year and a half and 20k got no worse but I changed the oil as a precautionry measure! It's annoying but I have got used to it lol

Does yours sound like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRfagk3iaRA

Mine seems to only do it after about 2 mins and then becomes sporadic after 10-20 mins driving.
Had the cam belt done and new tensioner on alternator belt yesterday.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Just had a main bearing repair on mine at £600 on 182000 miles. I'm wondering if the 02 shim made it happen as I did that within the last year. The shim did make the 5th gear whining disappear and the gearbox was less notchy, but now the gearbox is done the 5th gear whine is back, but quieter than before the shim was added and it is smoother than when I first got the car.

useyourname

Aug 2, 2012
In a shed
Had this issue when I bought my 2003 LC 180 2 years ago. Paid around £650 for new clutch and gearbox bearing shimmy to fix the issue.

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
I have a problem changing from 1st gear into 2nd it crunches slightly, but every other change is perfect even going from 2nd to 1st ain't a problem! And when the engine is up at temp it still crunches but no where near as bad! Anyone any ideas what the cause my be?

Cheers

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
I have a problem changing from 1st gear into 2nd it crunches slightly, but every other change is perfect even going from 2nd to 1st ain't a problem! And when the engine is up at temp it still crunches but no where near as bad! Anyone any ideas what the cause my be?

Cheers

I had a similar problem so I changed the gear oil to redline mt90 in the winter it's abit stiff to change from 1st to 2nd until warm but after it's warm it's spot on no crunches and I re aligned the gear selecter as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
I had a similar problem so I changed the gear oil to redline mt90 in the winter it's abit stiff to change from 1st to 2nd until warm but after it's warm it's spot on no crunches and I re aligned the gear selecter as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

defo worth a try mate before i get into the expensive gearbox recon and obligatory new clutch! Cheers

matty_fr

Mar 31, 2014
Kent
My Leon FR 180 has done the same ever since I bought it, had only done 34k miles when I bought it and is on 44k miles now and it hasn't got any worse. I just get a slight whine in 1st and 2nd when de-accelerating no grinding noises.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members