Whining Noise from AirCon when Revs go up/down ?!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Hello,

I've just spent 20 mins searching for anything on this forum and i've seen 1 or 2 cases where the air con has made whining noises but this case is a little different!

I can hear a horrible whining noise, which is quite loud and I've only noticed it recently and have not done anything to the car so something must have happened without any change.

I cannot hear it at all when the A/C is off and engine revs fine; its mainly when slowing down and lowering gears. If I turn the fan setting up past the 4/5th or higher level I cannot hear it, I can hear it slightly on 3rd but much more on the second bar but cannot really hear it at all on the lowest fan speed; completely goes when off.

This has really started to annoy me and the whining gets louder with more revs but if you turn the knob all the way off it disappears. Its weird how it links to the engine revs?

Does anyone know what this is? HELP! :(

Thanks

Stu!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Sounds similar to something I had on mine - dealer told me there were some leaves in the fan :shrug:

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Defiantly doesn't sound like a leaf to me! Something mechanical going on here, just drove back from a friends house and didn't happen for the first few minutes but then i could hear it. Its louder/whiny groan sound when the revs go up a little higher.

Ahh help?!!!

nickibizaCUPRA

mk3 CUPRA hell yeah!
Oct 15, 2005
crawley
FINALLY, someone else with ths problem!! i was thinkin possibly water pump?? but i exactly know what your on about! its driving me mad, especially if i have the window down!!!

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
yeah man OMG its so annoying! I've been told the belt driving the compressor or the compressor itself, either way its booked in for a service on the 10th may where its getting its 40k service, MOT and air con service and they should investigate this and hopefully be under warranty!!! managed to get yours down to something? How would it be the water pump?

nickibizaCUPRA

mk3 CUPRA hell yeah!
Oct 15, 2005
crawley
m8 you have to let me know what it is!!! i was thinkin water pump only because the noise changes with engine revs?? just a guess! defo keep me posted

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
sorry i never replied i have had it inspected 2 times but they still said no fault, before my warranty runs out im getting them to replace whatever it could be!!

found some other person having same problem here....

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Right well i had the car back and it was still makin the noise even with a brand new compressor put in under warranty, now they are certain its some heater motor which is located in the dashboard somewhere so they are going to take all of that out and replace that! Hopefully that will solve the probelm!!

Anyone know what they are replacing? Im just letting them get rid of the noise, also isit normal to take out the entire dashboard? haha cos he said they have to pull out the whole lot to get to it.

Reactions: Mr tickle
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.