White Smoke :-(

_-J-_

I only ever seem to come on here when there is a problem, should really post more! Anyway after a bit of advice. Got a 04 Leon Cupra TDI (ARL engine) and it has been having a strange problem since Friday.

Cold start in the morning fine (even in low degree weather or even minus temps) get to work ok, go to KFC for dinner (5 minute drive) come out of KFC and the car would not start. It was turning over but not firing. After about 3 attempts it started had low rev's and then picked up and worked fine. Drove back to work, turned the enginge off for 1 minute, tried to start it again and same symptoms. Left for 4 hours, came back to start to go home, fired first time no problem. Took home, turned engine off for 1 minute and it worked fine. Saturday again started no problem, drove a short journey, tried to start again and the same as above. Then went to my rents, left it for a hour and a half, took a couple of attempts to start. Went to town, left for 10 minutes, started fine. Sunday the problem never occured and i was doing the same sort of driving. Again yesterday it was the same, drove to work (12 miles) and back and the problem never happened. Went to the match and it was left standing for 4 hours, started fine and the outside temp was readin 2.0.

So this morning, temp was reading -3.5. So let the glow plug light come on tried to turn over and the same symptom as described above happened. Bear in mind this has never happened before on a cold start. So get it started and pull away, very sluggish and struggling to get to 2k. Thought it might be because it was cold. Then noticed quite a lot of white smoke coming out of the back. Stopped at my rents (less than .5 mile away) and the smoke was still coming out. So turned it off, went inside and spoke to my dad who has given me a lift to work. I was roughly 5 minutes inside and had to then move the car forward a little bit. So fired her up, it started first time, no smoke out the back (well nothing out of the ordinary) and I could feel that the power was back. :confused:

Oil and water levels were checked yesterday as I have had these symptoms on a Pug before and it was HGF, but all levels fine and no mayo. I did not have a chance to check the levels this morning but i am sure they are fine. At the minute the car is getting recovered to Swift Motor Engineering (excellent garage for Seat car's in Newcastle if anybody needs one!) and they have said it sounds like a faulty sensor, but cannot be sure until they see it.

So can anyone shed a little bit of light on this just to settle my nerves while i'm waiting on the garage. :help:

_-J-_

Well just had a call from them. Seems the shutdown valve is now stuck shut so it will not start at all and this could of been causing the issues. There is also a boost leak somewhere, most probably a split boost pipe. How much we talking for a replacement?

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
well i get similar probs ,

boost hoses are common for leaking , and not major money but all depends on what ones gone really

as for shutdown valve are they reffering to egr valve and anti shudder valve ,

keep us posted on the findings

cheers

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
if they say as andy mentions, egr (which has asv in it) new is approx £150+ from a dealer.
you can fix yourself with a couple of hours and some patience to remove all the gunk inside it.

chrisp123

you could remove the EGR completely as it just builds up a lovely black treacle when the exhaust gas and oil vapours etc mix

i've just got rid of my Mk 4 golf with ARL engine - EGR valve used to get stuck half open and produce alot grey smoke out of the back which you could really see in the night time!

I replace mine with a replacement piece from allard motor co/allard turbo sports

The worst bit about the boost pipes (if they are the same as the golf) is that the clips pop off the ends and the pipe moves so it can give some boost then none - worse if the cars remapped as the pressure is higher!

best thing i did was take them all off clean the seals and put them back on baing careful that the clips are firmly on!

hope this helps!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise