why fit coilovers to road cars?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
I'm interested to know - I'm not going to flame anyone but please tell me what you think they are giving you

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
It looks better, improves handling (apparently) and... they look cooooooooool.... yeah....

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
I've fitted them for when I use it on trackdays mainly. Can't say of the difference/improvement yet, but will tell you after the 21st Feb. They can bounce a little on the road.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
it looks better - so they are fitted to lower the car?

this can be done with 'non-coilover' lowering kits that are half the price

improves handling - so will sport-orientated 'non coilovers' at half the price

thing is - they are damned expensive and on the salt-covered roads that we get here in the UK, the threaded bits sieze up after a couple months anyhow. They are designed for optimising the corner weights of a race car for optimum handling - this can only be achieved properly with very fine adjustments in height and thus, the threaded body is necessary. Who does this on their car after fitting coilovers? maybe 1% of people would be my guess and thus, unless you are after a perfect stance for a show car, you are wasting your money..........a fixed drop or standard height quality sport damper set at maybe 50% of the cost will get you what you want.

Happy to hear what people think about this

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2008
Bristol
to reduce this look

DSC00385.jpg

and make it (roughly) like this

DSC00385copy.jpg

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
are non coilover kits adjustable (just height, dampening etc not needed for me anyway)? I will be lowering it quite alot for trackdays and raising it for commuting. For me it just seemed to be an easy option.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
For me I chose coilovers for:

Height adjustability, firmer ride, adjustable dampers, clearence around the front wheels to allow running a bigger wheel.

Shame I bought coilovers with soft as **** spirngs more aimed at the bling/pimp/market rather than somthing with any motorsport pedigree lol

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
how many non coilover lowering kits can offer 100mm of lowering or can give perfect arch clearance for a change of wheels for example?

i took my old polo (-120mm) to have a custom exhaust fitted, it didn't fit on the ramps! no probs, 20 mins later it's raised and drives straight on/off!

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
AMD set mine up for geometry and camber at my commuting height, these are marked, so I can return it simply after trackday use. Plus when dropping it for track use negative camber is increased, which is nice.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Aye, that was my interest. How many people find it practical to have their cars lowered? Because I would like to lower my car, and put an LCR splitter on it, but if I did that, I wouldn't be able to get into most car parks in the area...

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
On my old car I didn't bother with coilovers. Just picked something at the price and height I wanted and got them put on. It was low enough the bumper caught on kerbs but solid enough the car bottomed out less than the standard stuff. Plus they were only ~£200 for a set of springs and dampers. Couldn't justify the extra for a road car when I knew I am too lazy to change anything after it was fitted.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Just done a bit of research on the venom website - considering a Mk3 golf GTI 16V - all prices include VAT

Koni
Coilover, 30-65mm drop, damp adjust, £722.66
sport kit (springs and dampers), 35mm drop, damp adjust, £423.91
str.t kit (springs and dampers), 35mm drop, fixed damp 30% up on std, £250.00

staggerng.....£300 extra for 'coilover' functionality

Bilstein
PSS9 coilovers (B16), 20-60mm drop, damp adjust, £1127.12
B14 coilovers, 20-60mm drop, fixed damp 30% up on std, £677.93
B12 kit, 35mm drop, fixed damp 30% up on standard, £434.70

Spax
RSX coilover, 30-80mm drop, £517.49
PSX kit, 'lowered', damping adjustable, £413.99
VSX kit, 25mm drop, 30% uprated damp on std, £287.49

AP, new boys
coilover, 25% uprated over standard fixed damping, 30-80mm drop, £318.08

interesting.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
AMD set mine up for geometry and camber at my commuting height, these are marked, so I can return it simply after trackday use. Plus when dropping it for track use negative camber is increased, which is nice.

dont you have to adjust your tracking as well?

dubz_wm

DuBaHolIcS.co.uk
Jul 25, 2008
Wimbledon, Surrey
i just ordered my coilovers, they are coming from belgium from a company called hottuning,some of you probably have heard of them. £220 shipped up to 120mm drop if desired. of course ride and build quality is not gonna be KW or KONI standards but for the money your paying for a set of coilovers its well worth it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.