Why you should get a decent tax disc holder!!

loonymoon

Driving to work to day I heard a pop and the back of my crappy Halfords "magnetic" cardboard tax disc holder fell off and dropped the disc onto the dash.. I couldn't get to it and as I drove it sunk further down. By the time I'd got to work it'd disappeared right under the glass where I could barely see it and certainly can't get to it. :headhurt:

I'm going to try with some tweezers at lunchtime, I can see it being a pig to get to though. So there's a warning for you!!

I've now ordered a decent metal disc holder on ebay!!:cartman:

loonymoon

couldn't you have just stopped :doh: :p

Was on the motorway. I stopped once I got to some quieter roads but by then it was right down where I couldn't get to it.

I think I should be able to get to it with tweezers as it's between the glass and the plastic of the dash - I can just see the very edge of it but the gaps too narrow to get my fingers in there.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
That happened to me with a parking ticket. I think I ended up using a bit of masking tape, non-sticky side towards the window, and gently worked it down behind the ticket. It came out very easily then.

Good luck but don't blame me if you push it even further down!

Last edited:

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
the previous owner to my car lost a parking permit down there on my car too! i saw it flapping around. couldnt get my fingers in but i used a flat screwdriver and got it out by pulling it along the windscreen. <--- hope everyone understands

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
there was a guy on traffic cops the other night who said that his tax disc had fallen behind the dash. He got locked up the lieing scum.

Go get a tax disc you tight bar steward we know your fibbing...............lol

loonymoon

there was a guy on traffic cops the other night who said that his tax disc had fallen behind the dash. He got locked up the lieing scum.

Go get a tax disc you tight bar steward we know your fibbing...............lol

lol.:lol: I was actually wondering what would happen if the plod noticed!!

"Honest guv that little bit of paper that you can just about see is the tax disc that fell down!!". They can check on their system and see it's taxed but it's still " failure to display" I suppose!!

Last edited:

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
lol rash a was going 2 comment, personally I wud have thought wire coat hanger and tweesers wud not have came into my mind lol

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Be careful with the alloy type ones too, the little stickies they use heat up on the glass and theres been a few times Ive had mine (no longer use) go flying across the dash as I go around a corner, come close to it flying out of the window a few times too...

loonymoon

Be careful with the alloy type ones too, the little stickies they use heat up on the glass and theres been a few times Ive had mine (no longer use) go flying across the dash as I go around a corner, come close to it flying out of the window a few times too...

Hmm, the one I'm getting is a Richbrook twist off one with the SEAT logo on it. I did a search on here before and found that people seemed to like that type.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Hmm, the one I'm getting is a Richbrook twist off one with the SEAT logo on it. I did a search on here before and found that people seemed to like that type.

I've had one of them for two years with no problems. You need to make sure the glass is really clean before you stick it on. Mind you, I never drive with the windows open anyway. I've got climate control so I'm going to get my money's worth and use it all the time.:D

loonymoon

I've had one of them for two years with no problems. You need to make sure the glass is really clean before you stick it on. Mind you, I never drive with the windows open anyway. I've got climate control so I'm going to get my money's worth and use it all the time.:D

Well I'm getting a new windscreen fitted on Monday as there's a big chip in my line of sight that they can't repair. So it should be fairly clean. Any hints what I should use to clean it? As some solutions leave residues.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Well I'm getting a new windscreen fitted on Monday as there's a big chip in my line of sight that they can't repair. So it should be fairly clean. Any hints what I should use to clean it? As some solutions leave residues.

I think I used methylated spirit on mine.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide

My Mk4 has C.C .. but my lowly mk2 cupra doesn't ... and itds the mk2 that had the alloy one in.. now got a sticky one with a smiley face on :) < like that ;)