Window fix cost

p111dom

Some advice please. 20 days after the warranty ran out on my 06 plate Altea I was driving along the motorway and tried to lower the front passenger window when it went bang and stopped only three inches down. I can hear the motor moving but it's obviously become detatched from the mechanism. The local Seat dealer has quoted £160 inc vat and fitting for a new regulator (presuming that that is what's wrong inside.) I told them about it two weeks ago and they said that maybe Seat head office might contribute something as a good will gesture given how close to warranty it was and said they'd hear back in two or three days. Two weeks later after hearing nothing I dropped the car off today only to be told that Seat have not responded the the dealers request. So does anyone know.....

1 - Is this a common fault?
2 - How does £160 sound for the repair?
3 - Do Seat usually come good with this sort of thing? (paying outside warranty)
4 - What should I do about paying for it?

If I pay in full I know thats the last I'll hear about it. What would you guys do?

Cheers

Dom

oliverpe

I had the same issue on my Leon Cupra, it was the reglator and cost around £160 1 year out of warranty. Now one of my rear electric windows on my 1 yr old Altea XL goes down, but comes back up at an angle so you have to help it to raise in a straight motion otherwise it jams. Have not booked it in yet, but hope this will be covered under the 3yr warranty.

I am also starting to wonder if this is a common fault with Seat electric windows.

p111dom

Thanks oliverpe that's pretty much what I've been quoted £158 inc the vat so the price seems about right. Seems an odd thing to fail on a car with 30k on the clock. That window hardly ever gets used so it's not like its worn out.

newbuyer17

From what I read on here the email requests from dealers to seat usually fall upon deaf ears.

Ring custmer relations yourself and tell them you are not happy. They may or may not help, but I think you will have a better chance than relying on an email from the dealers.

p111dom

Seat just rang and said they'd replace the parts for free. I'll believe it when I see it but it looks promising. My local dealer has been pretty good to me really despite not buying the car there. They fixed a puncture for free after finding a nail in one of the tyres during a service and they matched the cheapest price I could find on the net for wipers front and back. They are just a bit poor at ringing you back when they say they will.

p111dom

Nope spoke too soon. As soon as I pressed submit they rang to say the wrong regulator has turned up and as it's Easter weekend it won't get fixed till next Tuesday.:cry:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members