Windscreen going white

bobrob

14 month old FR TDI, i just noticed a thin white band at the bottom of the windscreen, i have seen previous posts, i understand its a bit of de-lamination going on, i see the base of the windscreen seems by design glued but exposed, not in a rubber channel like most cars.

Definitely a manufacturing or design fault.

I have seen earlier posts talking about this, my question is, have you got it ? How far up has it gone ? And has anyone tried - got or failed to get it replaced by Seat under warranty ?

toledo399

I have a 2006 Toledo with white patch just begining to appear a bottom of screen. Using advice from this forum I have got the dealer to agree replacement this Friday on the basis:

1. It is the start of delamination of the screen
2. It will only spread
3. It will become a safety issue as it weakens the screen.

Visit your dealer and insist they replace it under warranty.

bobrob

Sounds like a get out of jail free card then

So before i sell it or if i get a chip in it i'll get it swapped for free ! :lol:

toledo399

Replacing the Windscreen!

I had the windscreen replaced in my 2006 Toledo three (yes 3) times last week.

The first attempt at replacing the screen was stopped when the new screen provided by Seat was found to be damaged.

The second attempt resulted in the screen being replaced but then found to be faulty manufacture with lines in the middle of the screen.

The third attempt was a repeat of the second with the screen again found to be faulty.

The fourth attempt was successful!!

The whole episode which should have taken one day took a week to complete. I began to wonder if the white patch was worth all this trouble.

Can anybody else beat this record - A car not 2 years old which is now on its fourth windscreen fitted by Seat?

arsenal401

I took my 18 month old Altea FR in on Monday for the windscreen.

They are changing it as we speak, should be all sorted by tm afternoon.

Also changed an exhaust sensor that was faulty under the warranty. The old glow plug light was flashing!

At least it should be ok now:)

rosco07

Apr 7, 2008
14 month old FR TDI, i just noticed a thin white band at the bottom of the windscreen, i have seen previous posts, i understand its a bit of de-lamination going on, i see the base of the windscreen seems by design glued but exposed, not in a rubber channel like most cars.

Definitely a manufacturing or design fault.

I have seen earlier posts talking about this, my question is, have you got it ? How far up has it gone ? And has anyone tried - got or failed to get it replaced by Seat under warranty ?

Had mine repaced on My Leon FR which was less than a year old under warranty recently(quite common I think). White line was only 2-3mm though and seemingly it will return on the new screen. Make sure (if you've not had it replaced yet) that your wiper alignment is ok after fitting as they sometimes remove the wiper arms. Mine is off as the passenger one is not flush with the A-pillar (when parked) and the driver's sometimes makes firm contact with the A-pillar.
The screens are bonded with black sealant so check there is no excess when looking from inside. The lazy :censored: who fitted mine even left some on my door handle and the cloth on the inside of the A pillar[:@] This issue is yet to be resolved althogh it did easily rub off the door handle.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members