Windshield demister vs climacoat in an Ateca

Feb 16, 2023
Slightly frustrating experience purchasing a new Ateca. Went to the dealer told him I wanted electric seats with memory control and asked which trims came with that. Was told both the Fr Sport and Excellence Lux come with that. Looked at the spec sheets and preferred the E. Lux as it also had climacoat windshield, which we have on our current Fiesta, albeit in an older 2012 version.

Was about to order when I find out that due to supply chain issues, the trims have been “rationalised” and electrically controlled seats with memory function only comes with the FR Sport, but that doesn’t have climacoat.

will I miss the climacoat function? On the Ford fiesta we have driven for the last 8 years, we prefer demisting the front windshield by turning on the electric front windscreen demister as it is completely silent, whereas the fan based demister is noisy. How is the fan based demister for the windshield on an Ateca?

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I used to have a Ford Kuga with a heated windscreen, and they are a nice luxury to have.

Now I have had a Leon and an Ateca for the past few years, to be honest I don't miss it that much. If I know it's going to freeze overnight, I put a towel over the windscreen the night before. I haven't scraped a windscreen for a few years.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

reddamper

Jan 10, 2020
I have the prefacelift Ateca with the heated windscreen option (same as the Ford heated windscreen) and it comes on as part of the max front windscreen demist so plenty of fan blasting cold air on startup.

Not sure if the climacote engages the fan at max speed when firing up?

Enjoy the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Mine is the wire in the windscreen based one that makes a cooking sound now like frying bacon (New didn't always)... but since I've retired living in better climatic conditions living with frying bacon sound 🙄... probably dampness. Suspect the connection to start it off is similar with the fan on but if it didn't work like that on a VW the climacote, it will work the same. Whatever the switching is for climacote on VW it will be the same.

Hmmm possibly haven't answered the question. Have you tried downloading the Ateca manual that may outline the process. Originally back in 2016 the wired one was an addendum to the manual not being too clear of the controls. Now you got mib3 overlayed on to it with the new heated screen. As said above on the preface lifted mib2 you fired up the fan but you can also toggle on and off the heater from the infotainment screen as an option (ie. Turn it off in the summer months). You could try sitting in a Leon in a show room, similar mib3 if you can find one in a dealer and go thru the process. They will be mib3 encarnated ones so our experience on mib2 and the wired ones may not apply.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.