Wing Mirror Adjustment Problem

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Hey guys,

Silly question here. Before driving home from a friends tonight, just went to adjust the driver wing mirror, so turned the dial to the right, and any movements are replicated on the passenger mirror too.

If I select the left one then it works in isolation, so it looks like some sort of electrical fault. Its not the end of the world, but its a bit annoying when you know something is up with your car, even if no-one else can.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows how this may be remedied. Something that can be done yourself, or more for a garage? I was washing the car today, so wondering if I managed to knock the mirror or something... They have worked independently before, so it must have been something recent.

And advice would be great.

Cheers, JP

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
Hey guys,

Silly question here. Before driving home from a friends tonight, just went to adjust the driver wing mirror, so turned the dial to the right, and any movements are replicated on the passenger mirror too.

If I select the left one then it works in isolation, so it looks like some sort of electrical fault. Its not the end of the world, but its a bit annoying when you know something is up with your car, even if no-one else can.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows how this may be remedied. Something that can be done yourself, or more for a garage? I was washing the car today, so wondering if I managed to knock the mirror or something... They have worked independently before, so it must have been something recent.

And advice would be great.

Cheers, JP

nothing to worry about mate. i think they all do it. the procedure to follow it is set up the right side first as this will move the left as standard practice so they both sit the same.then move the left for final adjustment. my leon cupra 180 used to do it and so does the cupra r currently. you've not messed anything up so nothing to worry about with regards to the car. first time it happened with me i was like what the flip, but then found out its normal as far as i know.

gulzar:lol:

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Yeah thats what I've been doing now, and like we've both said there isnt anything major to worry about, but would I swear it only just happened yesterday. weird. Damn electrics - just wondering if there was a way to reset, or at least get to the wiring to see - but may be more hassle than its worth.

*sigh* on the bright side, its sunny today, the car is clean - Gonna go for a drive :)

rich RS

Ibiza 1.4 TSI ACT 150 FR
Aug 5, 2006
Driving some where!
nothing to worry about mate. i think they all do it. the procedure to follow it is set up the right side first as this will move the left as standard practice so they both sit the same.then move the left for final adjustment. my leon cupra 180 used to do it and so does the cupra r currently. you've not messed anything up so nothing to worry about with regards to the car. first time it happened with me i was like what the flip, but then found out its normal as far as i know.

gulzar:lol:

^^^^^^ I do the same aswell

mjthompson

I'm pretty sure i've read on here that they all do it, mine does.

the reason is so that when more than 1 person regularly drives the car and needs to adjust the mirrors, if you do the drivers one first, it automatically adjust the passengers one to where it thinks it should be to suit the new driver.

So you havn't got a problem, its always been there, you just might not have noticed.

Hope that helps.

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
the reason is so that when more than 1 person regularly drives the car and needs to adjust the mirrors, if you do the drivers one first, it automatically adjust the passengers one to where it thinks it should be to suit the new driver.

Thanks for that - thinking about it, I may have just presumed that they adjusted individually, because I dont think that I've ever looked at the other mirror whilst adjusting one. If thats the case, then thats cool.

andycupra

status subject to change
its supposed to do it. based on trangulation. idea being someone else gets in the car, adjusts the drivers mirror and the passenger wirror should automatically adjust to the equivalent postion for the new driver.

just set the right mirror, then if the left isnt correct, then adjust the left mirror. easy.

Alot of people find this feature weird!