Wing replacement.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Hi all,
Not been about for a long time so excuse the ignorance of the question.

I'm planning on changing the Ibiza wings to the non rusty version:lol:

1) Do I need to remove the bumper to do this?
2) Does anyone have a pic' that details where each and every screw/bolt that needs to be removed is?
3) Does anyone have a list of the tools that will be required.
4) if the bumper does need removing does anyone have items 2 and 3 for doing that as well?

Ps I have done a quick search but didn't actually come across pics showing where all items that need to be removed are.

Anyone know of such a thing before I go and break random bolts/etc that I didn't know existed? ;)

RyanR

Padawan
May 30, 2015
Tewkesbury
If you're talking front wing I've looked into this myself as I need to replace mine at some point.

From what I've seen it's held purely on by bolts on the inside of the engine bay, and then 2 in the recess of the door hinge that you'd definitely need a ratchet set to get to without removing the door, but it looks do-able.

If I manage to find a panel in the same colour anytime soon I'll be happy to take pictures and make a rough guide - it just all depends on how soon a yellow Ibiza Drivers side front wing comes along near where I live :think:

As for the Rear Quarter I've been told that's welded on - but not got to checking for myself.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
There is a bumper removal guide knocking around online somewhere.

It's actually part of an intercooler install guide, I think it's on the DarkSide site???

killbot

Aug 29, 2012
Warrington, Cheshire
Literally just done this myself and replaced both wings.

Tools (From what I can remember)

Wrench
Short wrench extension bar
10mm socket
13mm socket (maybe?)
Screwdriver(with hex tips for removing screws from bumper and wheel arch lining)
Jack
Axel stands
Coffee

Steps from what I can remember

1. Loosen front wheel bolts on both sides.

2. Jack car up on both sides and support with axel stands.

3. Remove front wheels.

4. Remove the bumper as per guide above, easy enough once you know where all the screws are.

5. Remove wheel arch linings on both sides. My drivers side was in 2 pieces and both needed to be removed.
There are number of visible screws behind the wheel/ suspension that need taking out and then a number along the wheel arch rim to allow the arch lining to drop out.

6. Remove plastic part on wing at the front held in by 3 screws and a bolt that faces frontwards. This is the part that aligns the bumper with the wing.

7. Remove bolts from the wings.
- 2 at the bottom near the door accessible from inside the wheel arch after removing the liner.
- 1 at the top near the door accessible after opening the door.
- 3 along the top accessible after opening the bonnet
- 1 inside the wheel arch towards the door about halfway up.
- 2 behind the plastic cover you removed earlier.

Take note as these bolts may look the same but are different. 4 of them are identical and the other 5 are identical. Take a note which come from where and make sure you put them back in the right place.

8. Remove the wing. It might be a little difficult to pull at first as the points where the bolts were are held together by sticky tape. Just work it off where needed.

9. Transfer all clips and fittings from old wing to new wing, including all clips and foam mountings (EXCEPT THE STUPID FOAM INSERTS WHICH CAUSED THE DAMN PROBLEM!!!!)

10. Refit wing doing the reverse of the procedure. Tighten bolts loosely first and make sure the wing sits nicely and all gaps are even and then tighten up.

11. The bonnet can be raised or lowered at the front to sit flush with the wings by the loosening or tightening the fittings underneath at the front.

12. Refit wheel arch linings.

13. Refit the bumper and wheels

14. Drop car down and tighten wheel bolts

15. Have a coffee.

I didn't take any pictures of mine unfortunately but its easy enough and not much can go wrong. Good luck!

Last edited:

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
Killbot, did you source new genuine wings? Were they painted, or did you have to do this? Interested to know how much it cost you and what the finish is like before I have a go myself.

killbot

Aug 29, 2012
Warrington, Cheshire
I got a hold of some good condition second hand wings for £30 each in a different colour and then took them to have them professionally sprayed. Cost £350 for both wings.

A little disappointed with the colour match as mine is a yellow Ibiza but its a hell of a lot better than they were.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.