Winter tyres

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I'm thinking of getting a set of winter tyres and in order to save (a) the cost of tyres and (b) saving my 18" alloys, I was looking at getting my hands on some 17" used alloys…

However there's a few websites that offer packages on new alloys with winter tyres already fitted and balanced. I've found packages starting at £620 which isn't too bad considering the wheels will be brand new and the tyres are circa £400 on their own (GY Ultra Grip Performance Gen-1's).

A few questions:

1. Although I've stated 17" would 16" be feasible to fit on a FR? Brake clearance, etc?
2. Do I go for the same tyre dimensions, e.g 225x45 and just change the diameter to suit?
3. Are Winter tyres actually worth it? I've been commuting 25K a year for the last 8 years and never had any issues.
4. Are cheap alloys cheap for a reason? Or are they much of a muchness if they're bought with a warranty from a reputable source? I did look at Ronal wheels but £££'s.

Any advice appreciated :D

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I'm thinking of getting a set of winter tyres and in order to save (a) the cost of tyres and (b) saving my 18" alloys, I was looking at getting my hands on some 17" used alloys…

However there's a few websites that offer packages on new alloys with winter tyres already fitted and balanced. I've found packages starting at £620 which isn't too bad considering the wheels will be brand new and the tyres are circa £400 on their own (GY Ultra Grip Performance Gen-1's).

A few questions:

1. Although I've stated 17" would 16" be feasible to fit on a FR? Brake clearance, etc?
2. Do I go for the same tyre dimensions, e.g 225x45 and just change the diameter to suit?
3. Are Winter tyres actually worth it? I've been commuting 25K a year for the last 8 years and never had any issues.
4. Are cheap alloys cheap for a reason? Or are they much of a muchness if they're bought with a warranty from a reputable source? I did look at Ronal wheels but £££'s.

Any advice appreciated :D

I had my first ever set of winter tyres put on a week ago. I have no doubt they'll be in another league in the snow compared to my previous summer tyres.

I've put 250 miles on them since then, in the usual British weather for this time of the year - wet, slippery, 7 Celsius to 15 Celsius, and I have to say, they grip like fu**. They are far superior to any summer tyres I've ever owned in these weather conditions because they are a very soft compound, with 20 or so percent more natural rubber.

I think they are completely worth it for one reason - I can actually give it some in the rain now in the Cupra and it doesn't spin its wheels.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I had my first ever set of winter tyres put on a week ago. I have no doubt they'll be in another league in the snow compared to my previous summer tyres.

I've put 250 miles on them since then, in the usual British weather for this time of the year - wet, slippery, 7 Celsius to 15 Celsius, and I have to say, they grip like fu**. They are far superior to any summer tyres I've ever owned in these weather conditions because they are a very soft compound, with 20 or so percent more natural rubber.

I think they are completely worth it for one reason - I can actually give it some in the rain now in the Cupra and it doesn't spin its wheels.

They are much better at 7c than 13c thats for sure. Look forward to temps nearer and below 0c.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I had Vredestein 4 season tyres on my old Golf and took the plunge to get a separate set of winters last year. Most people expect winter tyres to be good in snow but also come in to their own when it is cold and wet, most obviously reducing wheel spin when trying to get away smartly.
As for wheel size, suggest you check mrwinterwheels website. I have the Borbet 16" on my 1.4 ACT FR, the 1.8 or TDI may have different size recommendation. It is normal though to reduce tyre width and speed ratiing with winter tyres.
Auto Express do an annual tyre review but can be sure that Nokian, Conti, Michelin Alpin, Goodyear Ultragrip or Dunlop Wintersport will be near the top of the list in their tests.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Ive just fitted some wheels and tyres that I bought from mytyres.net and pleased with them so far. My car came with the 18" titanium wheels so I went for 18" winters too. Was about £850 all in for Dezent TD wheels and Pirelli SottoZero 3 tyres and they came with a set of bolts. Had to buy some new locking bolts as the new wheels are taper bolt rather than the radius type that is OE.

Ive ran winters on all previous cars and they are well worth it just for the better wet weather grip and obviously if we have any snow they are miles better than a standard tyre.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

nog

Sep 18, 2007
Shropshire
Michelin cross climate are getting some very good reviews, they're a summer tyre that are also good as winter tyres, totally different to previous "all season" tyres if the marketing is to be believed.

I have had two on the back of mine for a few months and all good so far (17's). I'm sure I've read somewhere that there are 18's due out soon.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Thanks for the replies, some helpful stuff.

Is there any difference in going down to a narrower tyre? Will I notice any difference in terms of handling and general driving?

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh

Is there any difference in going down to a narrower tyre? Will I notice any difference in terms of handling and general driving?

I reckon it feels a touch lighter having gone from. 225 to 205, ride is slightly smoother with deeper side walls but again only minor difference. Could just run in sport mode to weight up the steering?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere

Just get winters put on your stock alloys mate and throw or keep your summers for next year, that's what I've done. It's worth going down the narrower route if you live in a Nordic climate but not ours. The weather simply does not warrant it. I've driven a RWD BMW on 20-inch rims with winter tyres in horrible sleet and snow weather conditions in England and Germany and they just pull you along.

Last edited:

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
Just get winters put on your stock alloys mate and throw or keep your summers for next year, that's what I've done. It's worth going down the narrower route if you live in a Nordic climate but not ours. The weather simply does not warrant it. I've driven a RWD BMW on 20-inch rims with winter tyres in horrible sleet and snow weather conditions in England and Germany and they just pull you along.

I wouldn't disagree with that approach plus places like kwik fit will store tyres between changes, but not normally tyres and wheels.

However, I paid £54 to get tyres swapped from one set of alloys to another, (1st place I phoned wanted £80) do that 2 twice a year and you will have paid for a set of secondhand 16" or maybe 17" alloys pretty quickly and you can always sell the alloys on when you change cars.

SEAT refer you to type approval notices for approved wheel/ tyre sizes which I didn't exactly find easy to read through, 5F info starts on page 277!

http://media.seat.de/flv/seatde/pdf/SEAT_Service/SEAT_Serienreifenkatalog.pdf?var=service

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
JAC280 - that's what I was initially thinking but the cost of the buying the 18" Winter tyres and then paying to swap them over (twice in the first year) is the same as just buying some cheap 16/17" wheels and Winter tyres to begin with. Local fitter charges £10+VAT to change all 4 wheels over and I have space in my garage for storage.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
Smaller wheels will generally be cheaper and over the course of a couple of season changes will have offset much of the initial outlay for the wheels. Then, if you no longer have any need for them you can bin them off on eBay.

I just bought a set of new 18" Autec Skandic's and Nokian WR-D4's that over the 2 to 3 years I'll own the car will mean I won't need to buy another set of summer tyres due to swapping the wheel sets round.

The Nokians are noticeably softer and give more than the Conti SP5's on 19's. Traction control warning lights are flashing on the dash when accelerating hard all the way up to legal speeds. I'm also noticing some slight roll/feeling of oversteer due to the softness and extra profile. I'll hold judgement until the temperatures drop.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Smaller wheels will generally be cheaper and over the course of a couple of season changes will have offset much of the initial outlay for the wheels. Then, if you no longer have any need for them you can bin them off on eBay.

I just bought a set of new 18" Autec Skandic's and Nokian WR-D4's that over the 2 to 3 years I'll own the car will mean I won't need to buy another set of summer tyres due to swapping the wheel sets round.

The Nokians are noticeably softer and give more than the Conti SP5's on 19's. Traction control warning lights are flashing on the dash when accelerating hard all the way up to legal speeds. I'm also noticing some slight roll/feeling of oversteer due to the softness and extra profile. I'll hold judgement until the temperatures drop.

Looking at the Autec Skandics at the mo. I can save £160 by going for the 16's and I've been assured that they will fit. What colour are yours and does the design suit the ST?

Since you have had an Apollo blue ST, would the black Skandics suit?

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
I went for the Autec's in black because the Cupra has black Multispokes and I like the look of the black against the bright alor and the black wing mirrors. They'll also hide the winter muck better.

I'll get some pictures up over the weekend if the weather behaves.

For the Apollo I reckon silver or anthracite.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I've ordered the 16" Autec Skandics, in silver. Price including 4 x GY UltraGrip 9's was cheaper than buying just the tyres for my 18" alloys. Great deal from MrWinterWheels. Found a £10 voucher code and also get a £20 fuel voucher in the new year.

Insurance company have confirmed it won't effect my premium. A local fitter will swap the full set over for £12. Sorted.

Roll on the 5hitty weather!

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
I went for the Autec's in black because the Cupra has black Multispokes and I like the look of the black against the bright alor and the black wing mirrors. They'll also hide the winter muck better.

I'll get some pictures up over the weekend if the weather behaves.

For the Apollo I reckon silver or anthracite.

95vl89.jpg

11bjm78.jpg

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Look great on yours but you're right I think the Apollo blue is too dark to pull it off. I'm glad I went for the silver now.

Great wheels though remind me of the ones Audi were using on the last good looking A4 Avant, 2006'ish.

I've just ordered some wheel bags from Amazon. Now watching the weather forecast like a big daft kid!

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Winter wheels/tyres fitted earlier this a'noon. Just in time too…

I first need address the elephant in the room, they are 16" wheels and make the car look pants. Not the design of the wheel, I like like them, it's just the size. They look like castors on a sofa. Though I bought them for their functionality not their aesthetics.

Just enough clearance on the front calipers, which I was concerned about.

First impressions on the way back from the tyre fitters. WOW! Even without scrubbing the release agent off them, the braking was noticeably better and though the steering is lighter you can tell they're gripping much more.

They are also quieter than the GY Efficient Grip Performance, even with the back seats down the road noise wasn't as bad. They also make the car feel more comfy and forgiving.

This week will be a good test, looking at the forecast.