Winter Wheels

1legdis

Mar 16, 2010
East Lothian
Having struggled (and I mean struggled) to get to work this week I have been thinking of getting some winter tyres/wheels for my Altea XL. Does anyone know if VW Golf 5 stud 15inch wheels will fit & what size tyres I would have to fit to make them match the current 205/55/16 wheels?

Thanks in advance.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
It really depends on what brakes you have up front. I think they'll be the 280 or 288mm discs so should just about squeeze over them.

What model xl is it?

1legdis

Mar 16, 2010
East Lothian
I know the tyres will need to be 195/65/15, which were the fit on those golfs as well. Someone else say whether the wheels fit??[/QUOTE

Ooops, have just seen e
the other thread, my bad. Was just concerned about the off-set being correct.

I think winter tyres will be on most Dads Santa list this year :rolleyes:

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Really not sure without seeing them in person but i'd have thought they were the larger brakes. I'd stick with the 16's to be on the safe side

mike55

May 31, 2010
Winter tyres

put a set of Continental winter tyres 205/60/16 on my freetrack a couple of weeks ago. realy came into there own this last week. Very impressed with the grip even on frozen snow today. I know I have 4WD but very little wheel spin at all.

Only down side, just heard on radio 2 that most insurance companies are treating winter tyre fitting as a modification and are either refusing cover of hyping premium. Thieves and dont understand that it will mean less likelyhood of getting involved in an accident. I hadn't even considered any more of a modification than the new tyre of a different make I fitted in November due to a puncture that could not be repaired. Am now concerned that I don't use Spanish oil & diesel, what will my insurance company make of that.

Is this country getting dafter by the day? Can't see the French putting up with it!!

tinky

Apr 13, 2010
put a set of Continental winter tyres 205/60/16 on my freetrack a couple of weeks ago. realy came into there own this last week. Very impressed with the grip even on frozen snow today. I know I have 4WD but very little wheel spin at all.

Only down side, just heard on radio 2 that most insurance companies are treating winter tyre fitting as a modification and are either refusing cover of hyping premium. Thieves and dont understand that it will mean less likelyhood of getting involved in an accident. I hadn't even considered any more of a modification than the new tyre of a different make I fitted in November due to a puncture that could not be repaired. Am now concerned that I don't use Spanish oil & diesel, what will my insurance company make of that.

Is this country getting dafter by the day? Can't see the French putting up with it!!

If spec you use match ones given by seat, insurance can't do you in for wearing winter tyres.

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
It all depends on what type of winter tyres. If they are what is normally on sale in the UK as winter tyres you are ok, if they are winter tyres from EU which are softer rubber and different profiles etc. then the government has said they are illegal, it was on the BBC news recently.

Leonidas

If winter tires have shot up in price because of demand then id get a pair of auto socks to get you through the winter. Then by them in june when it 28 above outside. Im sure there'll be no demand then ;)

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi 1legdis

I have the same car as you, 2.0L XL sylance DSG. I fitted some 195/65-15 Goodyear Ultragrip 7 wheels and tyres last week to replace the standard 16" alloys.

I got these from Mytyres.

So yes they do fit OK, and the difference is amazing. We had quite a lot of snow on Saturday and I was able to stop and start on hills, ice or snow or slush, with no drama.

Use manual mode for going down hills. I did turn of the traction control, but I was getting very little slip anyway.

Xlray

Zeap101

Apr 19, 2009
Northumberland
Guys,

What size discs does your car have? 280mm or 288mm?

I've bought some 15" leon alloys from ebay but not sure if they will fit over leon FR tdi 288mm brakes.

I know golf mk4 15" wheels fit over 288mm setup but not sure if the leon wheels do. Think they JUST fit over 280mm.

Any ideas?

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Dear Zeap101

According to the sales brochure I have 288mm. It appears that it is only the 1.9 TDI and 1.6 petrol that have 280mm.

One point to remember is that alloy wheels be thicker than the steel ones. A friend at work has an Omega and his one size smaller alloys got ice between the wheels and the calipers and froze up.

I suggest you try the rims before you buy the tyres.

Xlray.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.