Wiper issues

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I have some grievances about the wiper blades on my toledo (lets for aguments sake, say it's an altea XL ;))

First thing

I just treated the toledo to some new wiper blades. (same blades as for the altea XL) The old ones were probably the original (they certainly looked it) so they were long overdue.

So £35 poorer I got my front and rear set. All bosch. Fronts went on fine but the rear one has been a nightmare, the cylinder that the blade uses to attach to the car was a larger diameter on the bosch blade than the previous blade, and it broke the plastic retaining clip on the wiper arm when I tried to fit it.

So I'm going to have to get a new wiper arm. Anyone else had to replace theirs because of the same issue? I managed to sort it temporarily or so I thought, with a couple of self tapping screws off one of my old polos, screwed into the square protrusions on the underside of the wiper arm. This seemed to be holding the blade in nicely, and you couldn't tell there was a problem once the arm was put back against the screen, but now the overall package seems to be too tall, as the arm catches and jams against the rear spoiler. this isn't because of the screw modification, it's the blade itself being too tall. I can probably bend the blade 'til it's right, but it's very annoying! I drove all the way to work this morning with the wiper arm stuck in the middle of the rear screen.

The old blade and new blade look like normal wiper blades, so how can a decent bosch blade cause so much trouble!?

Second thing

Are anyone elses front wipers the wrong way around? (i.e. LHD) maybe it's just me that takes issue with this, but because the passenger side blade is below the drivers side one, it is always the last blade to move across the screen, so it leaves an arc of water on the drivers side of the car. If the arms were the other way up, the line would be on the passenger side out of the way.

Thank you for reading :)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Yep, they never changed the wipers to right hand drive. Probably cost too much.

Dealer prices for wipers are about the price you paid, probably less in fact, and they would be a guaranteed fit. See David at SERE Motors in the dealer section on this forum.

Reactions: GazGT

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I rounded up in fairness, £28.50 for the front set and £4.32 for the rear from t'ebay. Got them now so won't be buying any more any time soon! I'll need a price for the rear arm though. Thanks for the tip! :)

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Turns out I have an extra problem. The new blade on the back was making the wiper arm catch the rear spoiler. It jammed on the way to work the other day. Luckily the motor didn't burn out. Managed to sort it for now. I was behind a new leon the other day and it had a slimline rear wiper, it looked about the same length as mine, and the centre looked the same. Can these be retro-fitted to older models?

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
What's the length of your rear wiper, from centre of pivot to far end? I have the facelift Altea that has the aero-style rear wiper. If it turns out to be the same, you'll be able to order that part up from Seat.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
The arm is around 40cm long from centre pivot to tip, 41 from end to end. The wiper is smaller, take the arm out of the equation and the setup is around 39cm

Yeah it's the facelift wiper arm I'm looking for. It looks like a better design. I think the facelift arms are the same as several other vw group cars but have different length wipers between 11 and 13" The Leon, toledo and altea xl has a 280mm/11" wiper but I think I might be able to squeeze a 300mm wiper under there (they seem to be more common). I'll price one up. They're going for around £30 on ebay

EDIT - leon has 300mm wiper according to a more thorough search. So looks like the toledo and altea xl are the only ones that are 280, probably why there's not so many about on the net.

Seen a recent price for a leon rear arm with blade from sere - £22. I'll be giving him a call! :)

Last edited:

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
I'll have a check tonight. I'm using a Bosch A330H replacement blade in it, same size as the original, which I guess is a 330mm blade. That is also listed for all the MkV Golfs, the Golf+, recent Polos, Tiguan, Touareg and Fabia 5J2.

The only smaller aero rear blade listed is for the current Passat estate, and that's a A281H blade. I'm guessing that will have a correspondingly shorter arm.

Come to think of it, re-reading your post, the new Passat estate rear wiper sounds like what you're looking for.

Last edited:

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I've just been on www.wiperblades.co.uk after some more info and there's a few that use a 280mm blade from the vw group

current golf (09 on) A282H
current polo (09 on) A282H

It lists the passat as the blade you say, A281H - but it says it's 300mm Doesn't make sense based on the part number. That is the blade the leon uses as well. :confused:

The scirocco uses a 10" blade, A251H if I really get stuck.

Last edited:

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
Looking on a German listing, definitely gives the A281H as 280mm.

I'm sure David at SERE Motors on here would get you the new Leon part, and swap it if wrong. I reckon he'll quote you around £25 for the arm, blade and pinion cover.

Last edited:

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
Incidentally, where have you seen a Leon with an Aero rear wiper? I've just been on the UK SEAT website and spun through most the the models and the only ones that had Aero rears were the Altea (not XL) and the new Alhambra. I'm guessing both those the 330mm type.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Yeah the normal Altea is 330mm I think, certainly bigger than I need.

I was behind one on the way to work a couple of days ago. If you look on auto trader all the recent leons have it.

It's £22 all in for the leon, well chuffed. :)

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Realised after all my worries there is a guy at work with a passat estate. Measured everything up and it's the same size as what's on my toledo. So I'm good to go.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
New rear wiper's now on. Annoyingly the cap doesn't quite fit right. it's too tall. Some trimming at the base should sort that though.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Sorted the cap. Pics as requested:

IMG-20120329-00002.jpg

IMG-20120329-00003.jpg

I always liked the style of the old one, but the new style works far better.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise